Some aspects of the translog production function estimation
In a translog production function, the number of parameters practically ”explodes” as the number of considered production factors increases. Consequently, the shortcoming in the estimation of the respective production function is the occurrence of collinearity. Theoretically, the collinearity impact is minimum if a single production factor is taken into account. In this case, we can determine not only the output elasticity but also the elasticity of scale related to the respective production factor. In the present paper, we demonstrate that the relationship between the output elasticity and estimated average elasticity of scale depends on the dynamics trajectory of the production factor, underexponential and overexponential, respectively. At the end, a practical example is offered, dealing with the computation of the Gross Domestic Product elasticity and average elasticity of scale related to employed population in the United Kingdom and France during 1999-2009.
Volume (Year): 32 (2011(XXI))
Issue (Month): 1(41) (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Casa Academiei, Calea 13 Septembrie nr.13, sector 5, Bucureşti 761172|
Phone: 004 021 318.24.67
Fax: 004 021 318.24.67
Web page: http://www.ien.ro/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pavelescu, Florin Marius, 2010. "An Analysis Model for the Disturbances Generated by Collinearity in the Context of the OLS Method," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(2), pages 245-264, July.
- Florin Marius Pavelescu, 2010. "An Extensive Study on the Disturbances Generated by Collinearity in a Linear Regression Model with Three Explanatory Variables," Romanian Journal of Economics, Institute of National Economy, vol. 31(2(40)), pages 65-93, December.
- Christensen, Laurits R & Jorgenson, Dale W & Lau, Lawrence J, 1973. "Transcendental Logarithmic Production Frontiers," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 55(1), pages 28-45, February.
- Pavelescu, Florin Marius, 2005. "Impact Of Collinearity On The Estimated Parameters And Classical Statistical Tests Values Of Multifactorial Linear Regressions In Conditions Of O.L.S," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 2(2), pages 50-71.
- Pavelescu, Florin Marius, 2009. "A Review Of Student Test Properties In Condition Of Multifactorial Linear Regression," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 6(1), pages 63-75, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ine:journl:v:1:y:2011:i:41:p:131-150. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valentina Vasile)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.