An Analysis Model for the Disturbances Generated by Collinearity in the Context of the OLS Method
Under the conditions of OLS use in order to perform multiple linear regressions, both the estimated parameters values and also computed values of some statistical tests such as coefficient of determination, Fisher test or Student test are influenced by collinearity1. The respective influence is revealed by the values of the coefficient of alignment to collinearity hazard. For this reason, this paper presents an analysis model which identifies the factors and their influences on the above-mentioned indicator. On the one hand, we quantify the factors contribution to the arithmetical mean of coefficients of alignment to collinearity hazard, having in view that the respective indicator reveals the collinearity impact on a linear regression model as a whole. On the other hand, we emphasize the necessary conditions for the positivity of all coefficients of alignment to collinearity hazard, in order to avoid the occurrence of “unexpected signs” in case of some estimated parameters. Also, we bring some clarifications and extensions of the other concepts previously proposed by the author such as: the main and secondary explanatory variable, coefficient of mediated by resultative variable correlation between explanatory variables.
Volume (Year): (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Casa Academiei, Calea 13, Septembrie nr.13, sector 5, Bucureşti 761172|
Phone: 004 021 3188148
Fax: 004 021 3188148
Web page: http://www.ipe.ro/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jansen, W Jos & Schulze, Gunther G, 1996.
"Theory-Based Measurement of the Saving-Investment Correlation with an Application to Norway,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 34(1), pages 116-132, January.
- Jansen, W.J. & Schulze, G.G., 1993. "Theory-Based Measurement of the Saving-Investment Correlation with an Application to Norway," Papers 9302-g, Erasmus University of Rotterdam - Institute for Economic Research.
- Jansen, Willem Jos & Schulze, Günther G., 1993. "Theory-based measurement of the saving-investment correlation with an application to Norway," Discussion Papers, Series II 205, University of Konstanz, Collaborative Research Centre (SFB) 178 "Internationalization of the Economy".
- S. Illeris & G. Akehurst, 2002. "Introduction," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(1), pages 1-3, January.
- Pavelescu, Florin Marius, 2004. "Features Of The Ordinary Least Square (Ols) Method. Implications For The Estimation Methodology," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 1(2), pages 85-101, May.
- Pavelescu, Florin Marius, 2005. "Impact Of Collinearity On The Estimated Parameters And Classical Statistical Tests Values Of Multifactorial Linear Regressions In Conditions Of O.L.S," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 2(2), pages 50-71. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rjr:romjef:v::y:2010:i:2:p:245-264. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Corina Saman)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.