Effects of External Debt on Domestic Resource Allocation in a Small Open Economy with Limited Access to the World Capital Market
This paper studies a small open economy with a large external debt. It begins by considering the long-term effects of shocks in the international capital market and domestic fiscal policy on the amount of outstanding external debt and the domestic reallocation of resources between the tradable and non-tradable goods sectors theoretically. Then, numerical examples on various shocks are illustrated to help understand those theoretical predictions. For example, an exogenous increase in government expenditures, together with an increase in the external borrowing rate, requires resource reallocation between the tradable goods sector and the non-tradable goods sector as well as a small amount of external borrowings to shift toward the new stationary equilibrium, whose welfare level worsens.
Volume (Year): 21 (2003)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.imes.boj.or.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vittorio Corbo, 2002.
"Exchange Rate Regimes in the Americas: Is Dollarization the Solution?,"
Documentos de Trabajo
229, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- Corbo, Vittorio, 2002. "Exchange Rate Regimes in the Americas: Is Dollarization the Solution?," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 20(S1), pages 91-111, December.
- Alejandro Izquierdo, 2002. "Sudden Stops, the Real Exchange Rate and Fiscal Sustainability in Argentina," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(7), pages 903-923, 07.
- Burnside, Craig & Eichenbaum, Martin & Rebelo, Sergio, 1999.
"Prospective deficits and the asian currency crisis,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2174, The World Bank.
- Craig Burnside & Martin Eichenbaum & Sergio Rebelo, 2001. "Prospective Deficits and the Asian Currency Crisis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 109(6), pages 1155-1197, December.
- Craig Burnside & Martin Eichenbaum & Sergio Rebelo, 1998. "Prospective deficits and the Asian currency crisis," Working Paper Series WP-98-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Burnside, Craig & Eichenbaum, Martin & Rebelo, Sérgio, 1998. "Prospective Deficits and the Asian Currency Crises," CEPR Discussion Papers 2015, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Craig Burnside & Martin Eichenbaum & Sergio Rebelo, 1998. "Prospective Deficits and the Asian Currency Crisis," NBER Working Papers 6758, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Burnside, C. & Eichenbaum, M. & Rebelo, S., 1998. "Prospective Deficits and the Asian Currency Crisis," RCER Working Papers 458, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Martin Schneider & Aaron Tornell, 2000.
"Balance SHeet Effects, Bailout Guarantees and Financial Crises,"
NBER Working Papers
8060, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chang, R. & Velasco, A., 1998.
"Financial Fragility and the Exchange Rate Regime,"
98-05, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Roberto Chang & Andres Velasco, 1997. "Financial fragility and the exchange rate regime," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 97-16, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Roberto Chang & Andres Velasco, 1998. "Financial Fragility and the Exchange Rate Regime," NBER Working Papers 6469, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Corsetti, G. & Pesenti, P. & Roubini, N., 1998.
"What Caused the Asian Currency and Financial Crisis?,"
343, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Corsetti, Giancarlo & Pesenti, Paolo & Roubini, Nouriel, 1999. "What caused the Asian currency and financial crisis?," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 305-373, October.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Paolo Pesenti & Nouriel Roubini, 1998. "What Caused the Asian Currency and Financial Crisis?," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 343, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Caballero, Ricardo, 2003.
"On the international financial architecture: Insuring emerging markets,"
Journal of Financial Transformation,
Capco Institute, vol. 7, pages 8-12.
- Ricardo J. Caballero, 2003. "On the International Financial Architecture: Insuring Emerging Markets," NBER Working Papers 9570, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jagdeep S. Bhandari & Nadeem Ul Haque & Stephen J. Turnovsky, 1990. "Growth, External Debt, and Sovereign Risk in a Small Open Economy," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(2), pages 388-417, June.
- Fujiki, Hiroshi & Otani, Akira, 2002. "Do Currency Regimes Matter in the 21st Century? An Overview," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 20(S1), pages 47-79, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ime:imemes:v:21:y:2003:i:4:p:21-56. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kinken)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.