Wavelet Estimation of Asymmetric Hedge Ratios: Does Econometric Sophistication Boost Hedging Effectiveness?
This paper utilises wavelet analysis, which is becoming popular in economics and finance, to estimate the hedge ratios for spot positions on the West Texas Intermediate crude oil, soybeans and the S&P500 index. This technique is combined with a two-stage regime switching threshold model to estimate asymmetric hedge ratios corresponding to positive and negative returns on futures contracts. Other simple and sophisticated techniques are also used as a benchmark for the purpose of comparison, including the naive model and the asymmetric error correction GJR-GARCH model. On the basis of the variance ratio test and variance reduction, it is revealed that econometric sophistication does not boost hedging effectiveness.
Volume (Year): 7 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 100 Wenhwa Road, Seatwen, Taichung|
Web page: http://www.ijbe.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ramsey James B. & Lampart Camille, 1998. "The Decomposition of Economic Relationships by Time Scale Using Wavelets: Expenditure and Income," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 1-22, April.
- Kroner, Kenneth F. & Sultan, Jahangir, 1993. "Time-Varying Distributions and Dynamic Hedging with Foreign Currency Futures," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(04), pages 535-551, December.
- Ramsey, James B. & Lampart, Camille, 1998. "Decomposition Of Economic Relationships By Timescale Using Wavelets," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(01), pages 49-71, March.
- Bekaert, Geert & Wu, Guojun, 2000.
"Asymmetric Volatility and Risk in Equity Markets,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(1), pages 1-42.
- Geert Bekaert & Guojun Wu, 1997. "Asymmetric Volatility and Risk in Equity Markets," NBER Working Papers 6022, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ederington, Louis H, 1979. "The Hedging Performance of the New Futures Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 34(1), pages 157-170, March.
- Chen, Sheng-Syan & Lee, Cheng-few & Shrestha, Keshab, 2003. "Futures hedge ratios: a review," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 433-465.
- Ripple, Ronald D. & Moosa, Imad A., 2009. "The effect of maturity, trading volume, and open interest on crude oil futures price range-based volatility," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 209-219. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ijb:journl:v:7:y:2008:i:3:p:213-230. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yi-Ju Su)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.