Efficiency of Indian Manufacturing Firms: Textile Industry as a Case Study
Translog stochastic frontier production functions are fit to firm-level cross-sectional data on India's textile firms for each of five selected years to estimate technical efficiency (TE) of firms. We find that average TE varies between 68 to 84% across these years and that individual TEs vary with firm-specific characteristics such as size and age. Further, public sector firms are found to be relatively less efficient.
Volume (Year): 6 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 100 Wenhwa Road, Seatwen, Taichung|
Web page: http://www.ijbe.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Efthymios G. Tsionas, 2002.
"Stochastic frontier models with random coefficients,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(2), pages 127-147.
- Tsionas, E.G., 2001. "Stochastic Frontier Models with Random Coefficients," DEOS Working Papers 130, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Tsionas, E.G., 2001. "Stochastic Frontier Models with Random Coefficients," Athens University of Economics and Business 130, Athens University of Economics and Business, Department of International and European Economic Studies.
- Meeusen, Wim & van den Broeck, Julien, 1977. "Efficiency Estimation from Cobb-Douglas Production Functions with Composed Error," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 18(2), pages 435-444, June.
- Kalirajan, K P & Obwona, M B, 1994. "Frontier Production Function: The Stochastic Coefficients Approach," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 56(1), pages 87-96, February.
- Lall, Somik V. & Rodrigo, G. Chris, 2001. "Perspectives on the Sources of Heterogeneity in Indian Industry," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(12), pages 2127-2143, December.
- Lall,Somik V. & Rodrigo,Gerard Christopher, 2000. "Perspectives on the sources of heterogeneity in Indian industry," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2496, The World Bank.
- Battese, George E. & Coelli, Tim J., 1988. "Prediction of firm-level technical efficiencies with a generalized frontier production function and panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 387-399, July.
- Kankana Mukherjee & Subhash C. Ray, 2005. "Technical Efficiency And Its Dynamics In Indian Manufacturing: An Inter State Analysis," Indian Economic Review, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 40(2), pages 101-125, December.
- Kankana Mukherjee & Subhash C. Ray, 2004. "Technical Efficiency and Its Dynamics in Indian Manufacturing: An Inter-State Analysis," Working papers 2004-18, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- T. A. Bhavani, 1991. "Technical Efficiency in Indian Modern Small Scale Sector: An Application of Frontier Production function," Indian Economic Review, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 26(2), pages 149-166, July.
- Kodde, David A & Palm, Franz C, 1986. "Wald Criteria for Jointly Testing Equality and Inequality Restriction s," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(5), pages 1243-1248, September.
- Ho-chuan Huang, 2004. "Estimation of Technical Inefficiencies with Heterogeneous Technologies," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 21(3), pages 277-296, May.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-332.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Page, John Jr., 1984. "Firm size and technical efficiency : Applications of production frontiers to Indian survey data," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1-2), pages 129-152.
- Karl Lundvall & George Battese, 2000. "Firm size, age and efficiency: Evidence from Kenyan manufacturing firms," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(3), pages 146-163. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ijb:journl:v:6:y:2007:i:1:p:71-88. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yi-Ju Su)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.