Inflation regimes and stabilisation policies: Spain 1962-2001
After reaching high levels in the 1970s and 1980s, inflation in Spain is significantly lower in the early 2000s. This paper estimates a switching-regime model for that variable. Our results point towards the existence of three regimes across which the average and the volatility of inflation are positively correlated. Major movements from high and volatile inflation to low and more stable inflation are identified around 1978, 1990 and 1995, when relevant economic policy decisions were made. Our empirical results also help to explain the relatively long-lived episodes of over and under prediction of Spanish inflation without requiring any sort of agents' irrationality. (Copyright: Fundación SEPI)
Volume (Year): 27 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Investigaciones Economicas Fundación SEPI Quintana, 2 (planta 3) 28008 Madrid Spain|
Web page: http://www.fundacionsepi.es/
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.fundacionsepi.es/revistas/presentacion.asp Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1992. "The Likelihood Ratio Test under Nonstandard Conditions: Testing the Markov Switching Model of GNP," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(S), pages S61-82, Suppl. De.
- Dahl Christian M. & Hansen Niels L., 2001. "The Formation of Inflation Expectations under Changing Inflation Regimes," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 4(4), pages 1-31, January.
- Nicholas Ricketts & David Rose, . "Inflation, Learning And Monetary Policy Regimes In The G-7 Economies," Staff Working Papers 95-6, Bank of Canada.
- Bidarkota, Prasad V, 2001. "Alternative Regime Switching Models for Forecasting Inflation," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(1), pages 21-35, January.
- Evans, Martin & Wachtel, Paul, 1993. "Inflation Regimes and the," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 25(3), pages 475-511, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iec:inveco:v:27:y:2003:i:3:p:615-631. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Isabel Sánchez-Seco)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.