Bank efficiency measurement using alternative techniques of frontier analysis: evidence from India
Banks need to target enhanced levels of efficiency in order to survive and grow in the present economic conditions. A quantitative assessment of the efficiency of banks in an economy proves to be crucial for formulating strategies for efficiency enhancements. The alternative techniques of efficiency measurement in banks are distinct in terms of construct and approach and thus may offer different results. The difference in the results may be considerable in the case of banking systems in emerging economies. This paper examines the efficiency in the Indian banking sector during the post reforms period 1991-1992 to 2006-2007 using two popular frontier analysis techniques, namely data envelopment analysis (DEA) and stochastic frontier analysis (SFA), as alternative techniques of efficiency measurement. The paper offers evidence in support of conflicting results provided by the two techniques, though both indicate efficiency gains in the period of study.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 2 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.inderscience.com/browse/index.php?journalID=214|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elisa Luciano & Luca Regis, 2007. "Bank Efficiency and Banking Sector Development: the Case of Italy," ICER Working Papers - Applied Mathematics Series 5-2007, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Kwan, Simon H., 2003.
"Operating performance of banks among Asian economies: An international and time series comparison,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 471-489, March.
- Simon H. Kwan, 2002. "Operating performance of banks among Asian economies: an international and time series comparison," Working Paper Series 2002-01, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Simon H. Kwan, 2002. "Operating Performance of Banks among Asian Economies: An Internaitonal and Time Series Comparison," Working Papers 132002, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Bhaumik, Sumon Kumar & Dimova, Ralitza, 2004. "How important is ownership in a market with level playing field?: The Indian banking sector revisited," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 165-180, March.
- Sumon Kumar Bhaumik & Ralitza Dimova, 2003. "How Important is Ownership in a Market with Level Playing Field? The Indian Banking Sector Revisited," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2003-569, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Koetter, Michael & Karmann, Alexander & Fiorentino, Elisabetta, 2006. "The cost efficiency of German banks: a comparison of SFA and DEA," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2006,10, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Subal kumbhakar & Ana Lozano-Vivas, 2005. "Deregulation and Productivity: The Case of Spanish Banks," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 27(3), pages 331-351, 01.
- Subal C. Kumbhakar & Ana Lozano-Vivas, 2004. "Deregulation and Productivity: The Case of Spanish Banks," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2004/24, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Paxton, Julia A., 2006. "Technical efficiency in the rural financial sector: evidence from Mexico," Journal of Developing Areas, Tennessee State University, College of Business, vol. 39(2), pages 101-119, January-M.
- Das, Abhiman & Ghosh, Saibal, 2006. "Financial deregulation and efficiency: An empirical analysis of Indian banks during the post reform period," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 193-221.
- Kaparakis, Emmanuel I & Miller, Stephen M & Noulas, Athanasios G, 1994. "Short-Run Cost Inefficiency of Commercial Banks: A Flexible Stochastic Frontier Approach," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 26(4), pages 875-893, November.
- Halkos, George & Salamouris, Dimitrios, 2001. "Efficiency Measures of the Greek Banking Sector: A Non-Parametric Approach for the Period 1997-1999," MPRA Paper 2858, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Isik, Ihsan & Hassan, M. Kabir, 2002. "Technical, scale and allocative efficiencies of Turkish banking industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 719-766, April.
- Ferrier, Gary D. & Lovell, C. A. Knox, 1990. "Measuring cost efficiency in banking : Econometric and linear programming evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 229-245.
- Victor Mendes & Joao Rebelo, 1999. "Productive efficiency, technological change and productivity in Portuguese banking," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(5), pages 513-521.
- Bauer, Paul W. & Berger, Allen N. & Ferrier, Gary D. & Humphrey, David B., 1998. "Consistency Conditions for Regulatory Analysis of Financial Institutions: A Comparison of Frontier Efficiency Methods," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 85-114, March.
- Paul W. Bauer & Allen N. Berger & Gary D. Ferrier & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Consistency conditions for regulatory analysis of financial institutions: a comparison of frontier efficiency methods," Financial Services working paper 97-02, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Paul W. Bauer & Allen N. Berger & Gary D. Ferrier & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Consistency conditions for regulatory analysis of financial institutions: a comparison of frontier efficiency methods," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-50, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Isik, Ihsan & Hassan, M. Kabir, 2003. "Financial disruption and bank productivity: The 1994 experience of Turkish banks," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 291-320.
- Murty, M.N. & Kumar, Surender, 2002. "Measuring the cost of environmentally sustainable industrial development in India: a distance function approach," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(03), pages 467-486, July.
- Jose Pastor, 2002. "Credit risk and efficiency in the European banking system: A three-stage analysis," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(12), pages 895-911.
- José Manuel Pastor Monsálvez, 1999. "- Credit Risk And Efficiency In The European Banking Systems: A Three-Stage Analysis," Working Papers. Serie EC 1999-18, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Williams, Jonathan & Nguyen, Nghia, 2005. "Financial liberalisation, crisis, and restructuring: A comparative study of bank performance and bank governance in South East Asia," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(8-9), pages 2119-2154, August.
- Sarkar, Jayati & Sarkar, Subrata & Bhaumik, Sumon K., 1998. "Does Ownership Always Matter?--Evidence from the Indian Banking Industry," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 262-281, June.
- Menkhoff, Lukas & Suwanaporn, Chodechai, 2003. "The Rationale Of Bank Lending In Pre-Crisis Thailand," Discussion Papers 18733, University of Bonn, Center for Development Research (ZEF).
- Berg, Sigbjorn Atle & Forsund, Finn R. & Hjalmarsson, Lennart & Suominen, Matti, 1993. "Banking efficiency in the Nordic countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 371-388, April.
- Osman Zaim, 1995. "The Effect of Financial Liberalizationon the Efficiency of Turkish Commercial Banks," Working Papers 9505, Department of Economics, Bilkent University.
- E. Nur Ozkan-Gunay & Arzu Tektas, 2006. "Efficiency Analysis Of The Turkish Banking Sector In Precrisis And Crisis Period: A Dea Approach," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 24(3), pages 418-431, 07.
- Leigh Drake, 2001. "Efficiency and productivity change in UK banking," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(5), pages 557-571.
- Sumon Kumar Bhaumik & Jenifer Piesse, 2005. "The Risk Aversion of Banks in Emerging Credit markets: Evidence from India," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp774, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)