Measuring Cost Efficiency in European Banking: A Comparison of Frontier Techniques
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Maudos, Joaquin & Pastor, Jose M. & Perez, Francisco & Quesada, Javier, 2002. "Cost and profit efficiency in European banks," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 33-58, February.
- Ferrier, Gary D. & Lovell, C. A. Knox, 1990. "Measuring cost efficiency in banking : Econometric and linear programming evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 229-245.
- Laura Cavallo & Stefania Rossi, 2002. "Do environmental variables affect the performance and technical efficiency of the European banking systems? A parametric analysis using the stochastic frontier approach," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(1), pages 123-146.
- Berger, Allen N. & Humphrey, David B., 1997.
"Efficiency of financial institutions: International survey and directions for future research,"
European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 175-212, April.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: international survey and directions for future research," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of Financial Institutions: International Survey and Directions for Future Research," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-05, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Thierry Chauveau & Jézabel Couppey, 2000.
"Les banques françaises de réseaux n'ont pas de problèmes majeurs d'inefficacité productive. Une application de la technique d'enveloppement des données (DEA),"
Revue Économique, Programme National Persée, vol. 51(6), pages 1355-1380.
- Chauveau, T. & Couppey, J., 1999. "Les banques francaises de reseaux n'ont pas de problemes majeurs d'inefficacite productive: une application de la technique d'enveloppement des donnees (DEA)," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 1999.92, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Altunbas, Yener & Evans, Lynne & Molyneux, Philip, 2001. "Bank Ownership and Efficiency," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(4), pages 926-954, November.
- Resti, Andrea, 1997. "Evaluating the cost-efficiency of the Italian Banking System: What can be learned from the joint application of parametric and non-parametric techniques," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 221-250, February.
- Fare, R. & Grosskopf, S. & Logan, J., 1985. "The relative performance of publicly-owned and privately-owned electric utilities," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 89-106, February.
- Ana Lozano-Vivas & Jesús Pastor & José Pastor, 2002. "An Efficiency Comparison of European Banking Systems Operating under Different Environmental Conditions," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 59-77, July.
- Pastor, JoseManuel & Perez, Francisco & Quesada, Javier, 1997.
"Efficiency analysis in banking firms: An international comparison,"
European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 395-407, April.
- Francisco Pérez García & Javier Quesada Ibañez & José Manuel Pastor Monsálvez, 1995. "Efficiency Analysis In Banking Firms: An International Comparison," Working Papers. Serie EC 1995-18, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Sealey, Calvin W, Jr & Lindley, James T, 1977. "Inputs, Outputs, and a Theory of Production and Cost at Depository Financial Institutions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1251-1266, September.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Md Zobaer Hasan & Anton Abdulbasah Kamil & Adli Mustafa & Md Azizul Baten, 2012. "Stochastic Frontier Model Approach for Measuring Stock Market Efficiency with Different Distributions," PLOS ONE, Public Library of Science, vol. 7(5), pages 1-9, May.
- Francesco Aiello & Graziella Bonanno, 2018.
"On The Sources Of Heterogeneity In Banking Efficiency Literature,"
Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(1), pages 194-225, February.
- Aiello, Francesco & Bonanno, Graziella, 2014. "On the Sources of Heterogeneity in Banking Efficiency Literature," MPRA Paper 58591, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Francesco Aiello & Graziella Bonanno, 2016. "On The Sources Of Heterogeneity In Banking Efficiency Literature," Working Papers 201612, Università della Calabria, Dipartimento di Economia, Statistica e Finanza "Giovanni Anania" - DESF.
- Chu, Sing Fat & Lim, Guan Hua, 1998. "Share performance and profit efficiency of banks in an oligopolistic market: evidence from Singapore," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(2-3), pages 155-168, September.
- Fotios Pasiouras & Aggeliki Liadaki & Constantin Zopounidis, 2008. "Bank efficiency and share performance: evidence from Greece," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(14), pages 1121-1130.
- Laurent Weill, 2006. "Cost efficiency of Belgian banks during the 90s," Brussels Economic Review, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles, vol. 49(1), pages 21-36.
- Tortosa-Ausina, Emili, 2003. "Nontraditional activities and bank efficiency revisited: a distributional analysis for Spanish financial institutions," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 55(4), pages 371-395.
- Barros, Carlos Pestana & Wanke, Peter, 2014. "Banking efficiency in Brazil," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 54-65.
- Nurboja, Bashkim & Košak, Marko, 2017. "Banking efficiency in South East Europe: Evidence for financial crises and the gap between new EU members and candidate countries," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 122-138.
- C. Barra, 2014. "Local financial development and economic growth: an outlook on italian territorial data," Rivista economica del Mezzogiorno, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1-2, pages 187-216.
- Adnan Kasman & Saadet Kirbas Kasman & Oscar Carvallo, 2005. "Efficiency and Foreign Ownership in Banking: An International Comparison," Discussion Paper Series 05/03, Dokuz Eylül University, Faculty of Business, Department of Economics, revised 23 Nov 2005.
- Williams, Jonathan, 2004. "Determining management behaviour in European banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(10), pages 2427-2460, October.
- Cristian Barra & Sergio Destefanis & Giuseppe Lubrano Lavadera, 2013. "Regulation and the Crisis: The Efficiency of Italian Cooperative Banks," CSEF Working Papers 338, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Bos, J.W.B. & Schmiedel, H., 2007.
"Is there a single frontier in a single European banking market?,"
Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 2081-2102, July.
- Bos, Jaap W. B. & Schmiedel, Heiko, 2006. "Is there a single frontier in a single European banking market?," Working Paper Series 701, European Central Bank.
- Kontolaimou, Alexandra & Kounetas, Konstantinos & Mourtos, Ioannis & Tsekouras, Kostas, 2012. "Technology gaps in European banking: Put the blame on inputs or outputs?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1798-1808.
- Hsiang-Hsi Liu & Tser-Yieth Chen & Jia-Wen Chen, 2013. "Incorporating the Credit Ranking Measure to Evaluate the Operating Efficiency of Financial Holding Companies in Taiwan," Asian Economic and Financial Review, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 3(10), pages 1386-1404, October.
- Lee, Chi-Chuan & Huang, Tai-Hsin, 2017. "Cost efficiency and technological gap in Western European banks: A stochastic metafrontier analysis," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 48(C), pages 161-178.
- Bader, Mohammed Khaled I. & Mohamad, Shamsher & Ariff, Mohamed & Hassan, Taufiq, 2008. "Cost, Revenue, And Profit Efficiency Of Islamic Versus Conventional Banks: International Evidence Using Data Envelopment Analysis," Islamic Economic Studies, The Islamic Research and Training Institute (IRTI), vol. 15, pages 24-76.
- Schure, Paul & Wagenvoort, Rien & O'Brien, Dermot, 2004.
"The efficiency and the conduct of European banks: Developments after 1992,"
Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 371-396.
- Paul Schure & Rien Wagenvoort & Dermot O'Brien, 2004. "The efficiency and the conduct of European banks: Developments after 1992," Review of Financial Economics, John Wiley & Sons, vol. 13(4), pages 371-396.
- Paul Schure & Dermot O'Brien & Rien Wagenvoort, 2002. "The Efficiency and the Conduct of European Banks: Developments after 1992," EUI-RSCAS Working Papers 60, European University Institute (EUI), Robert Schuman Centre of Advanced Studies (RSCAS).
- Julien Reynaud & Rofikoh Rokhim, 2005.
"Do banking crises enhance efficiency? A case study of 1994 Turkish and 1997 Indonesian crises,"
- Julien Reynaud & Rofikoh Rokhim, 2005. "Do banking crises enhance efficiency? A case study of 1994 Turkish and 1997 Indonesian crises," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00193306, HAL.
- Julien Reynaud & Rofikoh Rokhim, 2005. "Do banking crises enhance efficiency? A case study of 1994 Turkish and 1997 Indonesian crises," Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques bla05007, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Maria S. Basílio & Maria Clara P. Pires & José Filipe Pires Reis, 2016. "Portuguese banks’ performance: comparing efficiency with their Spanish counterparts," Eurasian Economic Review, Springer;Eurasia Business and Economics Society, vol. 6(1), pages 27-44, April.
More about this item
Keywordsbanking; efficiency; stochastic frontier approach; distribution-free approach; data envelopment analysis;
All these keywords.
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jproda:v:21:y:2004:i:2:p:133-152. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla) or (Springer Nature Abstracting and Indexing). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.