Infrastructure investment across Spanish regions: determinants and calculation of an expenditure needs index
This paper constructs an index of infrastructure needs for the Spanish regions (Comunidades Autónomas). Using theoretical models, we define and econometrically estimate equations on the determinants of public investment in infrastructures undertaken by the different levels of government (regional and central) for the period 1987-1996. The estimated parameters for the investment determinants allow us to calculate a needs index, which reveals (and quantifies): first, the existence of a trade-off between equity and efficiency for the different levels of government when deciding public investments in infrastructures, and second, the importance on including additional (to GDP and population) need variables to calculate a territorial distribution rule of public investment in infrastructures.
Volume (Year): 178 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avda. Cardenal Herrera Oria, 378, 28035 Madrid|
Web page: http://www.ief.es
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pereira, Alfred M. & Roca-Sagales, Oriol, 2001. "Infrastructures and private sector performance in Spain," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 371-384, May.
- Moreno, Rosina & Lopez-Bazo, Enrique & Artis, Manuel, 2002. "Public infrastructure and the performance of manufacturing industries: short- and long-run effects," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 97-121, January.
- Douglas Holtz-Eakin & Harvey S. Rosen, 1993. "Municipal Construction Spending: An Empirical Examination," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(1), pages 61-84, 03.
- Case, A., 1997.
"Election Goals and Income Redistribution: Recent Evidence from Albania,"
177, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- Case, Anne, 2001. "Election goals and income redistribution: Recent evidence from Albania," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 405-423, March.
- Case, A, 1996. "Election Goals and Income Redistribution : Recent Evidence from Albania," Papers 177, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Dahlberg, M. & Johansson, E., 1999.
"On the Vote Purchasing Behavior of Incumbent Governments,"
1999:24, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Dahlberg, Matz & Johansson, Eva, 1999. "On the Vote Purchasing Behavior of Incumbent Governments," Working Paper Series 1999:24, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Aschauer, David Alan, 1989.
"Is public expenditure productive?,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 177-200, March.
- Avinash Dixit & John Londregan, 1998. "Ideology, Tactics, and Efficiency in Redistributive Politics," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 113(2), pages 497-529.
- Joeé Emilio Boscá & Francisco Javier Escribá & María José Murgui, 2002.
"The Effect of Public Infrastructure on the Private Productive Sector of Spanish Regions,"
Journal of Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 301-326.
- Boscá, José Emilio & Escribá, Javier & Murgui, María José, 2000. "The Effect Of Public Infrastructures On The Private Productive Sector Of Spanish Regions," ERSA conference papers ersa00p165, European Regional Science Association.
- Douglas Holtz-Eakin & Harvey S. Rosen, 1989. "Municipal Construction Spending: An Empirical Examination," NBER Working Papers 2989, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Manuel Arellano & Stephen Bond, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 277-297.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Gramlich, Edward M, 1994. "Infrastructure Investment: A Review Essay," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 32(3), pages 1176-96, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hpe:journl:y:2006:v:178:i:3:p:23-54. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ana Belén Miquel Burgos)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.