Aggregate and sector-specific exchange rate indexes for the Portuguese economy
In this paper, we compute and compare aggregate and sector-specific exchange rate indexes for the Portuguese economy. We find that alternative effective exchange rate indexes are very similar between them. We also find that sector-specific effective exchange rates are strongly correlated with aggregate indexes. Nevertheless, we show that sector-specific exchange rates are more informative than aggregate exchange rates in explaining changes in employment: whereas aggregate indexes are statistically insignificant in employment equations, regressions using sector-specific exchange rate indexes show a statistically significant and economically large effect of exchange rates on employment.
Volume (Year): (2009)
Issue (Month): 30 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Av. Dias da Silva, 165, 3004-512 COIMBRA|
Phone: + 351 239 790 500
Fax: + 351 239 40 35 11
Web page: http://notas-economicas.fe.uc.pt/index_en.htm
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- International Monetary Fund, 2005.
"New Rates from New Weights,"
IMF Working Papers
05/99, International Monetary Fund.
- Paulo Soares Esteves & Carolina Reis, 2006. "Measuring export competitiveness: revisiting the effective exchange rate weights for the euro area countries," Working Papers w200611, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Herman Z. Bennett & Ziga Zarnic, 2008.
"International Competitiveness of the Mediterranean Quartet; A Heterogeneous-Product Approach,"
IMF Working Papers
08/240, International Monetary Fund.
- Herman Z Bennett & Ziga Zarnic, 2009. "International Competitiveness of the Mediterranean Quartet: A Heterogeneous-Product Approach," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 56(4), pages 919-957, November.
- Luca Buldorini & Stelios Makrydakis & Christian Thimann, 2002. "The effective exchange rates of the euro," Occasional Paper Series 02, European Central Bank.
- Manuel de Heredia Caldeira Cabral, 2008. "Export Diversification And Technological Improvement: Recent Trends In The Portuguese Economy," GEE Papers 0006, Gabinete de Estratégia e Estudos, Ministério da Economia e da Inovação, revised Apr 2008.
- Klein, Michael W. & Schuh, Scott & Triest, Robert K., 2003.
"Job creation, job destruction, and the real exchange rate,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 239-265, March.
- Michael W. Klein & Scott Schuh & Robert K. Triest, 1999. "Job creation, job destruction, and the real exchange rate," Working Papers 99-11, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Michael W. Klein & Scott Schuh & Robert K. Triest, 2000. "Job Creation, Job Destruction, and the Real Exchange Rate," NBER Working Papers 7466, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jose Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 2001.
"Employment Versus Wage Adjustment And The U.S. Dollar,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 83(3), pages 477-489, August.
- Jose Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 1998. "Employment versus Wage Adjustment and the US Dollar," NBER Working Papers 6749, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- José Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 1999. "Employment versus Wage Adjustment and the U.S. Dollar," Working Papers 99-07, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Jose Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 1998. "Employment versus wage adjustment and the U.S. dollar," Staff Reports 56, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Amador, João & Cabral, Sónia & Ramos Maria, José, 2007.
"International Trade Patterns over the Last Four Decades: How does Portugal Compare with other Cohesion Countries?,"
5996, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- João Amador & Sónia Cabral & José R. Maria, 2007. "International Trade Patterns over the Last Four Decades: How does Portugal Compare with other Cohesion Countries?," Working Papers w200714, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Linda S. Goldberg, 2004. "Industry-specific exchange rates for the United States," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue May, pages 1-16.
- Ekholm, Karolina & Moxnes, Andreas & Ulltveit-Moe, Karen-Helene, 2008.
"Manufacturing Restructuring and the Role of Real Exchange Rate Shocks,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6904, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ekholm, Karolina & Moxnes, Andreas & Ulltveit-Moe, Karen Helene, 2012. "Manufacturing restructuring and the role of real exchange rate shocks," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 101-117.
- William H. Branson & James Love, 1988. "U.S. Manufacturing and the Real Exchange Rate," NBER Chapters, in: Misalignment of Exchange Rates: Effects on Trade and Industry, pages 241-276 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gmf:journl:y:2009:i:30:p:6-28. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sara Santos)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.