Realizing the Circular Economy for Sanitation: Assessing Enabling Conditions and Barriers to the Commercialization of Human Excreta Derived Fertilizer in Haiti and Kenya
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Barrett, Christopher B., 2008. "Smallholder market participation: Concepts and evidence from eastern and southern Africa," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 299-317, August.
- Kim Andersson & Sarah Dickin & Arno Rosemarin, 2016. "Towards “Sustainable” Sanitation: Challenges and Opportunities in Urban Areas," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 8(12), pages 1-14, December.
- Moya, Berta & Parker, Alison & Sakrabani, Ruben, 2019. "Challenges to the use of fertilisers derived from human excreta: The case of vegetable exports from Kenya to Europe and influence of certification systems," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 85(C), pages 72-78.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Daniel A. Salas & Paulina Criollo & Angel D. Ramirez, 2021. "The Role of Higher Education Institutions in the Implementation of Circular Economy in Latin America," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 13(17), pages 1-27, August.
- Pradhan, Surendra K. & Cofie, Olufunke & Nikiema, Josiane & Heinonen-Tanski, H., 2019. "Fecal sludge derived products as fertilizer for lettuce cultivation in urban agriculture," Papers published in Journals (Open Access), International Water Management Institute, pages 1-11(24):71.
- Surendra K Pradhan & Olufunke Cofie & Josiane Nikiema & Helvi Heinonen-Tanski, 2019. "Fecal Sludge Derived Products as Fertilizer for Lettuce Cultivation in Urban Agriculture," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 11(24), pages 1-15, December.
- Andrew Emmanuel Okem & Alfred Oduor Odindo, 2020. "Indigenous Knowledge and Acceptability of Treated Effluent in Agriculture," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 12(21), pages 1-12, November.
- Luca Adami & Marco Schiavon, 2021. "From Circular Economy to Circular Ecology: A Review on the Solution of Environmental Problems through Circular Waste Management Approaches," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 13(2), pages 1-20, January.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Tabe-Ojong, M.P.J. & Mausch, K. & Woldeyohanes, T. & Heckelei, T., 2018.
"A Triple-Hurdle Model of the Impacts of Improved Chickpea Adoption on Smallholder Production and Commercialization in Ethiopia,"
2018 Conference, July 28-August 2, 2018, Vancouver, British Columbia
277287, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Mausch, Kai & Woldeyohanes, Tesfaye & Heckelei, Thomas & Tabe-Ojong, Martin Paul, 2018. "A Triple Hurdle Model of the Impacts of Improved Chickpea Adoption on Smallholder Production and Commercialization in Ethiopia," 92nd Annual Conference, April 16-18, 2018, Warwick University, Coventry, UK 273473, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Gómez, Miguel I. & Ricketts, Katie D., 2013. "Food value chain transformations in developing countries: Selected hypotheses on nutritional implications," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 139-150.
- Ogada, Maurice Juma, 2012. "Forest Management Decentralization in Kenya: Effects on Household Farm Forestry Decisions in Kakamega," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126319, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Joachim Vandercasteelen & Seneshaw Tamru & Bart Minten & Johan Swinnen, 2017.
"Secondary towns, agricultural prices, and intensification: Evidence from Ethiopia,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
39317, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Joachim Vandercasteelen & Seneshaw Tamru Beyene & Bart Minten & Jo Swinnen, 2017. "Secondary towns, agricultural prices, and intensification: evidence from Ethiopia," Working Papers of Department of Economics, Leuven 579601, KU Leuven, Faculty of Economics and Business (FEB), Department of Economics, Leuven.
- Vandercasteelen, Joachim & Tamru, Seneshaw & Minten, Bart & Swinnen, Johan, 2017. "Secondary towns, agricultural prices, and intensification: Evidence from Ethiopia:," ESSP working papers 102, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Joachim Vandercasteelen & Seneshaw Tamru Beyene & Bart Minten & Jo Swinnen, 2017. "Secondary towns, agricultural prices, and intensification: evidence from Ethiopia," Working Papers of LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance 579601, KU Leuven, Faculty of Economics and Business (FEB), LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance.
- Takeshima, Hiroyuki & Liverpool-Tasie, Lenis Saweda O., 2015. "Fertilizer subsidies, political influence and local food prices in sub-Saharan Africa: Evidence from Nigeria," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 54(C), pages 11-24.
- Murad R Qubbaj & Rachata Muneepeerakul & Rimjhim M Aggarwal & John M Anderies, 2015. "How Does a Divided Population Respond to Change?," PLOS ONE, Public Library of Science, vol. 10(7), pages 1-15, July.
- Balie, Jean & Strutt, Anna & Nelgen, Signe & Narayanan, 2018. "Infrastructure investments for improved market access in subSaharan Africa: A CGE analysis," African Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, African Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 13(2), June.
- Pacillo, Grazia, 2016. "Market participation, innovation adoption and poverty in rural Ghana," Economics PhD Theses 0916, Department of Economics, University of Sussex Business School.
- Ola, Oreoluwa & Menapace, Luisa, 2020. "A meta-analysis understanding smallholder entry into high-value markets," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 135(C).
- Bagchi, Niladri Sekhar & Mishra, Pulak & Behera, Bhagirath, 2021. "Value chain development for linking land-constrained farmers to markets: Experience from two selected villages of West Bengal, India," Land Use Policy, Elsevier, vol. 104(C).
- Ryan Nehring & Ana Carla Miranda & Andrew Howe, 2017. "A case for institutional demand as effective social protection: supporting smallholders through procurement and food assistance programmes," Working Papers 157, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- Tanguy Bernard & Alemayehu Seyoum Taffesse & Eleni Gabre‐Madhin, 2008. "Impact of cooperatives on smallholders' commercialization behavior: evidence from Ethiopia," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 39(2), pages 147-161, September.
- Kleemann, Linda & Thiele, Rainer, 2015.
"Rural welfare implications of large-scale land acquisitions in Africa: A theoretical framework,"
Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 51(C), pages 269-279.
- Kleemann, Linda & Thiele, Rainer, 2014. "Rural welfare implications of large-scale land acquisitions in Africa: A theoretical framework," Kiel Working Papers 1921, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Muriithi, Beatrice W. & Matz, Julia Anna, 2015.
"Welfare effects of vegetable commercialization: Evidence from smallholder producers in Kenya,"
Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 80-91.
- Muriithi, Beatrice & Matz, Julia Anna, 2014. "Welfare Effects of Vegetable Commercialization: Evidence from Smallholder Producers in Kenya," Discussion Papers 166029, University of Bonn, Center for Development Research (ZEF).
- Ahmed, Mohamed M. & Balie, Jean, 2016. "Why is it important to measure the Market Development Gap? An application to the agricultural sector of Uganda," 2016 Fifth International Conference, September 23-26, 2016, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia 246446, African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE).
- Cherunya, Pauline C. & Ahlborg, Helene & Truffer, Bernhard, 2020. "Anchoring innovations in oscillating domestic spaces: Why sanitation service offerings fail in informal settlements," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 49(1).
- Magrini, Emiliano & Morales-Opazo, Cristian & Balie, Jean, 2014.
"Supply response along the value chain in selected SSA countries: the case of grains,"
2014: Food, Resources and Conflict, December 7-9, 2014. San Diego, California
197193, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Magrini, Emiliano & Balié, Jean & Morales Opazo, Cristian, 2016. "Price signals and supply responses for staple food crops in SSA countries," DARE Discussion Papers 1601, Georg-August University of Göttingen, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development (DARE).
- Lovo, Stefania & Veronesi, Marcella, 2019.
"Crop Diversification and Child Health: Empirical Evidence From Tanzania,"
Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 158(C), pages 168-179.
- Lovo, Stefania & Veronesi, Marcella, 2014. "Crop Diversification and Child Health: Empirical Evidence From Tanzania," 2014 International Congress, August 26-29, 2014, Ljubljana, Slovenia 182735, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Stefania Lovo & Marcella Veronesi, 2015. "Crop diversification and child health: Empirical evidence from Tanzania," GRI Working Papers 211, Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment.
- Stefania Lovo & Marcella Veronesi, 2014. "Crop Diversification and Child Health: Empirical Evidence From Tanzania," Working Papers 08/2014, University of Verona, Department of Economics.
- Zhang, Lin & Findeis, Jill L., 2010. "Intra-Household Time Allocation and Labor Migration Decisions in Rural South China," 2010 Annual Meeting, July 25-27, 2010, Denver, Colorado 61520, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Julius Juma Okello & Yuan Zhou & Norman Kwikiriza & Sylvester Ochieng Ogutu & Ian Barker & Elmar Schulte-Geldermann & Elly Atieno & Justin Taj Ahmed, 2016. "Determinants of the Use of Certified Seed Potato among Smallholder Farmers: The Case of Potato Growers in Central and Eastern Kenya," Agriculture, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 6(4), pages 1-12, October.
More about this item
Keywordsfertilizer; sanitation; fecal sludge; business models; certifications;
All these keywords.
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gam:jsusta:v:11:y:2019:i:11:p:3154-:d:237237. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://www.mdpi.com/ .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: XML Conversion Team (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://www.mdpi.com/ .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.