Economic effects of the unemployment insurance benefit
The U.S. labor market has remained weak in recent years, even though the overall economy itself has started to grow again after the deep recession. In response to the weak labor market conditions, the U.S. government has greatly expanded the entitlement period of unemployment insurance (UI) benefits. In “Economic Effects of the Unemployment Insurance Benefit,” Shigeru Fujita reviews some of the academic literature on the economic effects of UI benefits. On the one hand, UI can improve people’s well being because it helps them avoid a large drop in consumption in the face of job losses when job losers do not have enough savings. On the other hand, there is a concern that it might produce an adverse effect on the incentive to look for a job. The author covers leading theoretical as well as empirical studies, which are useful in evaluating the recent expansion of unemployment insurance benefits.
Volume (Year): (2010)
Issue (Month): Q4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.philadelphiafed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.phil.frb.org/publicaffairs/pubs/index.html Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Card, David & Chetty, Raj & Weber, Andrea, 2007.
"The Spike at Benefit Exhaustion: Leaving the Unemployment System or Starting a New Job?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2590, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- David Card & Raj Chetty & Andrea Weber, 2007. "The Spike at Benefit Exhaustion: Leaving the Unemployment System or Starting a New Job?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(2), pages 113-118, May.
- David Card & Raj Chetty & Andrea Weber, 2007. "The Spike at Benefit Exhaustion: Leaving the Unemployment System or Starting a New Job?," NBER Working Papers 12893, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Moffitt, Robert, 1985. "Unemployment insurance and the distribution of unemployment spells," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 85-101, April.
- Bruce K. Fallick, 1989.
"Unemployment Insurance and the Rate of Re-Employment of Displaced Workers,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
550, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Fallick, Bruce Chelimsky, 1991. "Unemployment Insurance and the Rate of Re-employment of Displaced Workers," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(2), pages 228-35, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedpbr:y:2010:i:q4:p:20-27. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Beth Paul)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.