Were banks special intermediaries in late nineteenth century America?
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- James, Christopher, 1987. "Some evidence on the uniqueness of bank loans," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 217-235, December.
- Lummer, Scott L. & McConnell, John J., 1989. "Further evidence on the bank lending process and the capital-market response to bank loan agreements," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 99-122, November.
- Berlin, Mitchell & Mester, Loretta J., 1992. "Debt covenants and renegotiation," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 95-133, June.
- Bhattacharya Sudipto & Thakor Anjan V., 1993. "Contemporary Banking Theory," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 2-50, October.
- Deshmukh, Sudhakar D & Greenbaum, Stuart I & Kanatas, George, 1983. "Interest Rate Uncertainty and the Financial Intermediary's Choice of Exposure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(1), pages 141-147, March.
- Allen N. Berger & Anil K. Kashyap & Joseph M. Scalise, 1995.
"The Transformation of the U.S. Banking Industry: What a Long, Strange Trips It's Been,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 26(2), pages 55-218.
- Allen N. Berger & Anil K. Kashyap & Joseph Scalise, 1995. "The Transformation of the U.S. Banking Industry: What a Long, Strange Trip It's Been," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 96-06, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- David C. Wheelock, 1993. "Is the banking industry in decline? Recent trends and future prospects from a historical perspective," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Sep, pages 3-22.
- Eugene E. Agger, 1914. "The Commercial Paper Debate," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 22, pages 661-661.
- Diamond, Douglas W, 1991. "Monitoring and Reputation: The Choice between Bank Loans and Directly Placed Debt," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(4), pages 689-721, August.
- Brief, Richard P., 1966. "The Origin and Evolution of Nineteenth-Century Asset Accounting," Business History Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 40(1), pages 1-23, April.
- Calomiris, Charles W & Kahn, Charles M, 1991. "The Role of Demandable Debt in Structuring Optimal Banking Arrangements," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(3), pages 497-513, June.
- Fama, Eugene F., 1985. "What's different about banks?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 29-39, January.
- Snowden, Kenneth A., 1987. "Mortgage Rates and American Capital Market Development in the Late Nineteenth Century," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 47(3), pages 671-691, September.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bodenhorn, Howard, 1999. "An Engine of Growth: Real Bills and Schumpeterian Banking in Antebellum New York," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 278-302, July.
- Hanson, Samuel G. & Shleifer, Andrei & Stein, Jeremy C. & Vishny, Robert W., 2015.
"Banks as patient fixed-income investors,"
Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 117(3), pages 449-469.
- Samuel Hanson & Andrei Shleifer & Jeremy C. Stein & Robert W. Vishny, "undated". "Banks as patient fixed-income investors," Working Paper 238646, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Samuel G. Hanson & Andrei Shleifer & Jeremy C. Stein & Robert W. Vishny, 2014. "Banks as Patient Fixed-Income Investors," NBER Working Papers 20288, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Samuel G. Hanson & Andrei Shleifer & Jeremy C. Stein & Robert W. Vishny, 2014. "Banks as Patient Fixed Income Investors," Working Paper 151246, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Samuel Hanson & Andrei Shleifer & Jeremy C. Stein & Robert W. Vishny, 2014. "Banks as Patient Fixed Income Investors," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2014-15, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Malcolm Anderson, 1999. "Accounting History Publications 1998," Accounting History Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 375-384.
- Seltzer, Andrew J. & Simons, Kenneth L., 2001. "Salaries and Career Opportunities in the Banking Industry: Evidence from the Personnel Records of the Union Bank of Australia," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 195-224, April.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Preece, Dianna & Mullineaux, Donald J., 1996. "Monitoring, loan renegotiability, and firm value: The role of lending syndicates," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 577-593, April.
- Cai, Jun & Cheung, Yan-Leung & Goyal, Vidhan K., 1999. "Bank monitoring and the maturity structure of Japanese corporate debt issues," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 7(3-4), pages 229-249, August.
- Bossone, Biagio, 2001. "Do banks have a future?: A study on banking and finance as we move into the third millennium," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(12), pages 2239-2276, December.
- João Santos, 1998.
"Commercial Banks in the Securities Business: A Review,"
Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 14(1), pages 35-60, July.
- Joao A. C. Santos, 1996. "Commercial banks in the securities business: a review," Working Papers (Old Series) 9610, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- João A. C. Santos, 1998. "Commercial banks in the securities business: A review," BIS Working Papers 56, Bank for International Settlements.
- Hubbard, R Glenn & Kuttner, Kenneth N & Palia, Darius N, 2002.
"Are There Bank Effects in Borrowers' Costs of Funds? Evidence from a Matched Sample of Borrowers and Banks,"
The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75(4), pages 559-581, October.
- R. Glenn Hubbard & Kenneth N. Kuttner & Darius N. Palia, 1999. "Are there "bank effects" in borrowers' costs of funds? Evidence from a matched sample of borrowers and banks," Staff Reports 78, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Chiesa, Gabriella, 2008.
"Optimal credit risk transfer, monitored finance, and banks,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 464-477, October.
- Gabriella Chiesa, 2008. "Optimal Credit Risk Transfer, Monitored Finance, and Banks," EIEF Working Papers Series 0811, Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF), revised Sep 2008.
- Cheng Keat Tang & Masaki Mori & Seow Eng Ong & Joseph T. L. Ooi, 2016. "Debt Raising and Refinancing by Japanese REITs: Information Content in a Credit Crunch," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 53(2), pages 141-161, August.
- Santikian, Lori, 2014. "The ties that bind: Bank relationships and small business lending," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 177-213.
- Steven Ongena, 1999. "Lending Relationships, Bank Default and Economic Activity," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(2), pages 257-280.
- Akhigbe, Aigbe & McNulty, James E., 2011. "Bank monitoring, profit efficiency and the commercial lending business model," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 63(6), pages 531-551.
- Hooks, Linda M., 2003. "The impact of firm size on bank debt use," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 173-189.
- Mark S. Carey & Stephen D. Prowse & John Rea & Gregory F. Udell, 1993. "The economics of the private placement market," Staff Studies 166, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Jean-Daniel Guigou & Laurent Vilanova, 1999. "Les vertus du financement bancaire: fondements et limites," Revue Finance Contrôle Stratégie, revues.org, vol. 2(2), pages 97-133, June.
- Wei-Huei Hsu & Abdullah Mamun & Lawrence C. Rose, 2010. "Lead bank quality and adverse rating announcements," Studies in Economics and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 27(4), pages 340-357, October.
- Houston, Joel & James, Christopher & Marcus, David, 1997. "Capital market frictions and the role of internal capital markets in banking," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 135-164, November.
- Kalu Ojah & Justo Manrique, 2005. "Determinants of corporate debt structure in a privately dominated debt market: a study of the Spanish capital market," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(7), pages 455-468.
- Cole, Rebel A., 1998. "The importance of relationships to the availability of credit," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(6-8), pages 959-977, August.
- Udell, Gregory F., 2008. "What's in a relationship The case of commercial lending," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 93-103.
- Godlewski, Christophe J., 2015. "The certification value of private debt renegotiation and the design of financial contracts: Empirical evidence from Europe," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 53(C), pages 1-17.
- Datta, Sudip & Iskandar-Datta, Mai & Raman, Kartik, 2000. "Debt Structure Adjustments and Long-Run Stock Price Performance," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 427-453, October.
More about this item
KeywordsBanks and banking - History;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedlrv:y:1998:i:may:p:13-32. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/frbslus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.