An econometric diffusion model of exchange rate movements within a band : implications for interest rate differential and credibility of exchange rate policy
The paper presents a model ofexchange rate movements within a specified exchange rate band enforced by central bank interventions. The model is based on the empirical observation that the exchange rate has usually been strictly inside the band, at least in Finland. In this model the distribution of the exchange rate is truncated lognormal from the edges towards the center of the band and hence quite different from the bimodal distribution of the standard target zone model. The model is estimated using the daily observations of the changes in the FIM exchange rate since 1987. The estimated model is used to compute the expected future values of the FIM/ECU rate within the band for the period June 7, 1991- September 7, 1992 and the corresponding interest rate differential between Finland and EMS countries. Subtracting this from the actual interest rate differential gives a measure of expected devaluation and devaluation risk premium. The premium was very large in autumn 1991 before the devaluation in November but afterwards it decreased considerably. After a few months the devaluation pressure increased again and finally on September 8, 1992 markka was allowed to float.
Volume (Year): 5 (1992)
Issue (Month): 2 (Autumn)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.taloustieteellinenyhdistys.fi|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Svensson, L.E.O., 1990.
"The Simplest Test of Target Zone Credibility,"
469, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Svensson, Lars E. O., 1991.
"The term structure of interest rate differentials in a target zone : Theory and Swedish data,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 87-116, August.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1991. "The Term Structure of Interest Rate Differentials in a Target Zone: Theory and Swedish Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 495, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Svensson, L.E.O., 1990. "The Term Structure of Interest Rate Differentials in a Target Zone: Theory and Swedish Data," Papers 466, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Lars E.O. Svensson, 1990. "The Term Structure of Interest Rate Differentials in a Target Zone: Theory and Swedish Data," NBER Working Papers 3374, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pikkarainen, Pentti, 1991. "International portfolio diversification: the basket-peg regime," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 432-442, September.
- Lars E. O. Svensson, 1991.
"Assessing Target Zone Credibility; Mean Reversion and Devaluation Expectations in the EMS,"
IMF Working Papers
91/96, International Monetary Fund.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1991. "Assessing Target Zone Credibility: Mean Reversion and Devaluation Expectations in the EMS," CEPR Discussion Papers 580, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Svensson, L.E., 1991. "Assessing Target Zone Credibility: Mean Reversion and Devaluation Expectations in the EMS," Papers 493, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "A Theory of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 385-407, March.
- Zhaohui Chen & Alberto Giovannini, 1992. "Estimating Expected Exchange Rates Under Target Zones," NBER Working Papers 3955, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fep:journl:v:5:y:1992:i:2:p:98-109. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Editorial Secretary)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.