The interest rate elasticity of aggregate consumption : a time varying parameter approach
The aim of this note is to examine whether the empirically documented positive interest rate elasticity of aggregate consumption in Finland is an artefact due to the previously widespread credit rationing. The aim is carried out using a novel time valying parameter approach and data from the period 1960-1989. The empirical evidence lendsfurther support for apositive interest rate elasticity of aggregate consumption. The elasticity seems to have increased over time, especially in recent years. To some extent, this mirrors a gradual easening up of credit rationing, which has been particularly rapid in recent years.
Volume (Year): 4 (1991)
Issue (Month): 2 (Autumn)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.taloustieteellinenyhdistys.fi|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eytan Sheshinski & Vito Tanzi, 1989. "An Explanation of the Behavior of Personal Savings in the United States in Recent Years," NBER Working Papers 3040, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stock, James H, 1987. "Asymptotic Properties of Least Squares Estimators of Cointegrating Vectors," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(5), pages 1035-56, September.
- Jackman, Richard & Sutton, John, 1982. "Imperfect Capital Markets and the Monetarist Black Box: Liquidity Constraints, Inflation and the Asymmetric Effects of Interest Rate Policy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(365), pages 108-28, March.
- Koskela, Erkki & Viren, Matti, 1982. " Inflation, Tight Money and Household Saving Behavior: Finnish Evidence," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 84(3), pages 483-92.
- Pagan, Adrian, 1984. "Econometric Issues in the Analysis of Regressions with Generated Regressors," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 25(1), pages 221-47, February.
- Jappelli, Tullio & Pagano, Marco, 1988.
"Consumption and Capital Market Imperfection: An International Comparison,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
244, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jappelli, Tullio & Pagano, Marco, 1989. "Consumption and Capital Market Imperfections: An International Comparison," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(5), pages 1088-1105, December.
- Koskela, Erkki & Viren, Matti, 1985. "Consumption Function, Labour Supply Rationing and Borrowing Constraints," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 37(3), pages 500-509, September.
- Clements, R T, 1985. "Savings in New Zealand during Inflationary Times: Measurement, Determinants, and Implications," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 3(3), pages 188-208, June.
- Sims, Christopher A & Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1990. "Inference in Linear Time Series Models with Some Unit Roots," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 113-44, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fep:journl:v:4:y:1991:i:2:p:142-153. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Editorial Secretary)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.