Monetary Policy in a Small Economy after Tsunami: A New Consensus on the Horizon?
The last financial crisis significantly changed views concerning the relationship between monetary policy, asset prices and financial stability. We survey the pre-crisis opinions on the appropriate monetary policy reactions to financial market developments and delineate the new consensus which is currently emerging from the lessons taken. The new consensus is an amended model of flexible inflation targeting in which the central bank “should sometimes lean and can clean”. We try to add the small open economy context to the debate and demonstrate that the optimal reactions of monetary policy-makers in small open economies may differ and that sometimes the optimal solution may not even be available due to the policies of the key world central banks acting as price makers. In such instances, second-best policies have to be considered.
Volume (Year): 61 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Opletalova 26, CZ-110 00 Prague|
Phone: +420 2 222112330
Fax: +420 2 22112304
Web page: http://ies.fsv.cuni.cz/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frait, Jan & Komarek, Lubos, 2006.
"Monetary Policy and Asset Prices : What Role for Central Banks in New EU Member States?,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
738, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Jan Frait & Luboš Komárek, 2007. "Monetary Policy and Asset Prices: What Role for Central Banks in New EU Member States?," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2007(1), pages 3-23.
- Bracke, Thierry & Fidora, Michael, 2008. "Global liquidity glut or global savings glut? A structural VAR approach," Working Paper Series 0911, European Central Bank.
- Claudio Borio & Mathias Drehmann, 2009. "Assessing the risk of banking crises - revisited," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, March.
- Tobias Adrian & Hyun Song Shin, 2008.
"Financial intermediaries, financial stability, and monetary policy,"
346, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Shin, Hyun Song & Adrian, Tobias, 2008. "Financial intermediaries, financial stability and monetary policy," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 287-334.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti & Hans Genberg & Sushil Wadhwani, 2002. "Asset Prices in a Flexible Inflation Targeting Framework," NBER Working Papers 8970, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rasmus Ruffer & Livio Stracca, 2007.
"What is global excess liquidity, and does it matter?,"
Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006
120, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Rüffer, Rasmus & Stracca, Livio, 2006. "What is global excess liquidity, and does it matter?," Working Paper Series 0696, European Central Bank.
- Gilchrist, Simon & Leahy, John V., 2002. "Monetary policy and asset prices," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 75-97, January.
- Alan S. Blinder & Ricardo Reis, 2005.
"Understanding the Greenspan standard,"
Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole,
Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Aug, pages 11-96.
- Charles R. Bean & Matthias Paustian & Adrian Penalver & Tim Taylor, 2010. "Monetary policy after the fall," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 267-328.
- Olivier D Jeanne & Michael D. Bordo, 2002.
"Monetary Policy and Asset Prices; Does "Benign Neglect" Make Sense?,"
IMF Working Papers
02/225, International Monetary Fund.
- Bordo, Michael D & Jeanne, Olivier, 2002. "Monetary Policy and Asset Prices: Does 'Benign Neglect' Make Sense?," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(2), pages 139-64, Summer.
- Tobias Adrian & Hyun Song Shin, 2009.
"Money, liquidity, and monetary policy,"
360, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fau:fauart:v:61:y:2011:i:1:p:5-33. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lenka Herrmannova)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.