Macro-regional evaluation of the structural funds using the Hermin modelling framework
Macro-regional evaluation of the Structural Funds using the HERMIN modelling framework (di John Bradley, Edgar Morgenroth and Gerhard Untiedt) - ABSTRACT: A particular focus of the Structural Funds is on Objective 1 regions that lag behind in terms of their GDP per capita relative to the EU average. The amount of investment that is funded through the Structural Funds by the EU is substantial and consequently EU legislation requires the appraisal of the policies undertaken. Our modelling framework HERMIN has been widely applied to Structural Fund analysis at the national level and macro-regional level. The HERMIN framework is based on a small open economy model. Importantly it incorporates mechanisms, which are based on the endogenous growth literature, which allow it to capture the long-run supply side impact of the Structural Funds along with the short run Keynesian impact. This paper reviews this modelling framework and shows the impact that the Structural Funds appear to have had during the 1994-1999 programming period.
Volume (Year): 2003/3 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.francoangeli.it/riviste/sommario.asp?IDRivista=103|
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.francoangeli.it/riviste/Elenco_Prodotti.aspx?startCode=DC Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gabriele Tondl, 1999. "What Determined the Uneven Growth of Europe´s Southern Regions? An Empirical Study with Panel Data," Working Papers geewp04, Vienna University of Economics and Business Research Group: Growth and Employment in Europe: Sustainability and Competitiveness.
- Sjed Ederveen & Joeri Gorter & Ruud de Mooij & Richard Nahuis, 2003. "Funds and Games: The Economics of European Cohesion Policy," Occasional Papers 03, European Network of Economic Policy Research Institutes.
- Bradley, John & Whelan, Karl & Wright, Jonathan, 1995. "HERMIN Ireland," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 249-274, July.
- Wei Fan & Frederick Treyz & George Treyz, 2000. "An Evolutionary New Economic Geography Model," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(4), pages 671-695.
- Bradley, John & Whelan, Karl, 1997. "The Irish expansionary fiscal contraction: A tale from one small European economy," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 175-201, April.
- Bradley, John & Fitzgerald, John, 1988. "Industrial output and factor input determination in an econometric model of a small open economy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1227-1241, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fan:scresc:v:html10.3280/scre2003-003001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angelo Ventriglia)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.