Managing an Economy Under EMU: The Case of Ireland
This paper first considers the dilemma facing the ECB itself in managing the eurozone economy. It then turns to the issues facing individual governments in managing their own regional economies within the euro zone - in particular the issues facing the Irish government. We first consider the extent to which individual governments should be concerned about deviations in domestic inflation rates from the average euro zone rate. We identify significant benefits to EMU membership but also a cost in the reduction in the ability to control pressures on domestic property markets. Finally, this paper does not consider the problems facing regions of national economies that have very little fiscal autonomy. With the exception of the Northern Ireland Economic Councils study (Bradley, 1998), this issue has to date received little attention in the literature.
|Date of creation:||May 2000|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Whitaker Square, Sir John Rogerson's Quay, Dublin 2|
Phone: (353-1) 863 2000
Fax: (353-1) 863 2100
Web page: http://www.esri.ie
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Duffy, David & FitzGerald, John & Kearney, Ide & Smyth, Diarmaid, 1999. "Medium-Term Review 1999-2005, No. 7," Forecasting Report, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number MTR07, December.
- Irvine, Ian J., 1984. "A Study of New House Prices in Ireland in the Seventies," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number GRS118.
- Bradley, John & Whelan, Karl & Wright, Jonathan, 1995. "HERMIN Ireland," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 249-274, July.
- John FitzGerald & Fergal Shortall, 1998. "Exchange Rate Changes and the Transmission of Inflation," Papers WP096, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Baker, Terence J. & FitzGerald, John & Honohan, Patrick, 1996. "Economic Implications for Ireland of EMU," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number PRS28.
- Honohan, Patrick & Conroy, Charles, 1994. "Irish Interest Rate Fluctuations in The European Monetary System," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number GRS165.
- Bradley, John & Whelan, Karl, 1997. "The Irish expansionary fiscal contraction: A tale from one small European economy," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 175-201, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:esr:wpaper:wp127. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sarah Burns)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.