Chronology of banking reforms in Nigeria: A survey of past and present theoretical and empirical literature
Purpose – Governments of many developed and developing countries have designed and implemented various financial reforms to enable the sector to play the role of efficient financial intermediation, thereby helping to bolster economic growth and development. The purpose of this paper is to survey past and present literature on the chronology of banking reforms in Nigeria and the implications of the last reform on the Nigerian economy. Design/methodology/approach – The paper is analytical with mode of presentation based on content analysis. Findings – The paper posits that the banking system in Nigeria has come a long way in term of regulations and reforms, number of institutions, structure of ownership, and depth and breadth of operations. However, the various reforms have not yet achieved the desired objectives, either due to poor implementation or improper institutional arrangement or sometimes due to abrupt termination of the reforms. Originality/value – The paper suggests that henceforth, reforms should be designed according to the peculiarities of the Nigerian economy and institutional behaviour, and should be backed by adequate legislation.
Volume (Year): 19 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/journals.htm?id=jfrc Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elizabeth Laderman, 2003. "Good news on Twelfth District banking market concentration," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue oct24.
- Altunbas, Yener & Marqués-Ibáñez, David, 2004.
"Mergers and acquisitions and bank performance in Europe: the role of strategic similarities,"
Working Paper Series
0398, European Central Bank.
- Altunbas, Yener & Marqués, David, 2008. "Mergers and acquisitions and bank performance in Europe: The role of strategic similarities," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 204-222.
- Beck, Thorsten & Cull, Robert & Jerome, Afeikhena, 2005.
"Bank privatization and performance - emprical evidence from Nigeria,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3511, The World Bank.
- Beck, Thorsten & Cull, Robert & Jerome, Afeikhena, 2005. "Bank privatization and performance: Empirical evidence from Nigeria," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(8-9), pages 2355-2379, August.
- International Monetary Fund, 2004. "Bank Consolidation and Performance; The Argentine Experience," IMF Working Papers 04/149, International Monetary Fund.
- Berger, Allen N, et al, 2004. "Bank Concentration and Competition: An Evolution in the Making," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(3), pages 433-51, June.
- Joseph P. Hughes & William Lang & Loretta J. Mester & Choon-Geol Moon, 1998.
"The Dollars and Sense of Bank Consolidation,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
99-04, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Allen N. Berger, 1994.
"The relationship between capital and earnings in banking,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
94-2, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Berger, Allen N, 1995. "The Relationship between Capital and Earnings in Banking," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(2), pages 432-56, May.
- Allen Berger, 1994. "The Relationship Between Capital and Earnings in Banking," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 94-17, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Elizabeth Laderman, 1995. "The rhyme and reason of bank mergers," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue nov17.
- Charles M. Kahn & George Pennacchi & Ben Sopranzetti, 2000.
"Bank consolidation and consumer loan interest rates,"
690, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Charles Kahn & George Pennacchi & Ben Sopranzetti, 2001. "Bank Consolidation and Consumer Loan Interest Rates," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 01-14, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Ricardo Correa, 2009.
"Cross-Border Bank Acquisitions: Is there a Performance Effect?,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 36(2), pages 169-197, December.
- Ricardo Correa, 2008. "Cross-border bank acquisitions: Is there a performance effect?," International Finance Discussion Papers 922, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & Asli Demirgüç-Kunt & Ross Levine & Joseph G. Haubrich, 2004. "Introduction: Bank concentration and competition: an evolution in the making," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 433-451.
- Linda S. Goldberg, 2004. "Financial-sector foreign direct investment and host countries: new and old lessons," Staff Reports 183, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Emilia Bonaccorsi Di Patti & Giorgio Gobbi, 2007. "Winners or Losers? The Effects of Banking Consolidation on Corporate Borrowers," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(2), pages 669-695, 04.
- Balogun, Emmanuel Dele, 2007. "A review of Soludo's perspective of banking sector reforms in Nigeria," MPRA Paper 3803, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1995. "Small business credit availability: how important is size of lender?," Working Papers 95-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Iretioluwa O. Oyefuga & Willie O. Siyanbola & Oladele O. Afolabi & Abolaji D. Dada & Abiodun A. Egbetokun, 2008. "SMEs funding: an assessment of an intervention scheme in Nigeria," World Review of Entrepreneurship, Management and Sustainable Development, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 4(2/3), pages 233-245.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:jfrcpp:v:19:y:2011:i:4:p:370-382. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Louise Lister)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.