Estimating and analysing cost efficiency of sawmill industries in Nigeria: A stochastic frontier approach
Purpose – The purpose of this paper is to examine cost efficiency and its determinants in Nigerian sawmill industries. Design/methodology/approach – A stochastic frontier model is employed on a total of 160 mills randomly selected across five states in south-western Nigeria in 2006. Findings – The results show an estimated average cost efficiency of 1.262. This suggests that an average mill incurs about 26 per cent costs above the frontier cost when processing planks from logs. Further analysis indicates that a significant level of cost ineffisciency is present in Nigeria's sawmilling industry. Analysis of determinants of cost efficiency reveals that more years of education, experience, age, and level of capital investment reduce cost inefficiencies between 7 and 16 per cent. Sawmill operation is found to be associated with economies of scale in the study area. Originality/value – The paper contributes to existing studies on the efficiency of sawmill industries in Nigeria by taking a holistic assessment of the industry from a cost perspective.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 2 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://www.emeraldinsight.com/caer.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wilson, Paul & Hadley, David & Asby, Carol, 2001.
"The influence of management characteristics on the technical efficiency of wheat farmers in eastern England,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 24(3), March.
- Wilson, Paul & Hadley, David & Asby, Carol, 2001. "The influence of management characteristics on the technical efficiency of wheat farmers in eastern England," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 24(3), pages 329-338, March.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Ryan, David L. & Wales, Terence J., 2000. "Imposing local concavity in the translog and generalized Leontief cost functions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 67(3), pages 253-260, June.
- Johannes Sauer & Klaus Frohberg & Henrich Hockmann, 2006. "Stochastic efficiency measurement: The curse of theoretical consistency," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 139-166, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:caerpp:v:2:y:2010:i:4:p:420-432. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Virginia Chapman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.