Has Salary Discrimination Really Disappeared From Major League Baseball?
Analysis of a detailed data set for the 2000-2001 period shows no evidence of overall racial or ethnic salary discrimination for baseball players. Given prior research, that finding is not unusual. However, when the data set is divided into low, middle, and high salary ranges, a RESST test shows that minorities in the lowest salary group receive significantly lower returns to their skills than do whites. A decomposition of the wage differences for the lowest salary group shows that as much as 86.3% of the black/white and 91.5% of the Hispanic/white salary gap may be due to discrimination.
Volume (Year): 32 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (Spring)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (201) 684-7346
Web page: http://www.ramapo.edu/eea/journal.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert Mogull, 1975. "Salary discrimination in major league baseball," The Review of Black Political Economy, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 269-279, March.
- R. Todd Jewell & Robert Brown & Scott Miles, 2002. "Measuring discrimination in major league baseball: evidence from the baseball hall of fame," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(2), pages 167-177.
- Hanssen, F Andrew & Andersen, Torben, 1999. "Has Discrimination Lessened over Time? A Test Using Baseball's All-Star Vote," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 37(2), pages 326-52, April.
- Marshall Medoff, 1975. "A reappraisal of racial discrimination against blacks in professional baseball," The Review of Black Political Economy, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 259-268, March.
- Fred A. Bellemore, 2001. "Racial and Ethnic Employment Discrimination," Journal of Sports Economics, , vol. 2(4), pages 356-368, November.
- Daniel Marburger, 1996. "Racial discrimination and long-term contracts in major league baseball," The Review of Black Political Economy, Springer, vol. 25(1), pages 83-94, September.
- Lawrence M. Kahn, 1991. "Discrimination in professional sports: A survey of the literature," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 44(3), pages 395-418, April.
- Rodney Fort & Andrew Gill, 2000. "Race and Ethnicity Assessment in Baseball Card Markets," Journal of Sports Economics, , vol. 1(1), pages 21-38, February.
- Halvorsen, Robert & Palmquist, Raymond, 1980. "The Interpretation of Dummy Variables in Semilogarithmic Equations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 474-75, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eej:eeconj:v:32:y:2006:i:2:p:285-297. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Victor Matheson, College of the Holy Cross)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.