A Note on the Real Federal Deficit
Two alternative ways of extracting a measure of the real federal deficit from a measure of the nominal federal debt are discussed. One equates the real federal deficit to the real value of the change in the nominal debt. Aspects of the issues of crowding out, the use of the deficit as an indicator of fiscal policy, and the feasibility of permanent deficits are taken up to show that both measures are important and neither is merely the wrong way to calculate the other.
Volume (Year): 14 (1988)
Issue (Month): 3 (Jul-Sep)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: c/o Dr. Alexandre Olbrecht, The Anisfield School of Business 205, Ramapo College, 505 Ramapo Valley Road, Ramapo, New Jersey 07430, USA|
Phone: (201) 684-7346
Web page: https://www.quinnipiac.edu/eea/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Milbourne, Ross D & Richards, Daniel J, 1986. "A New View of the Federal Debt and Budget Deficits: Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(5), pages 1154-55, December.
- Michael R. Darby, 1984.
"Some Pleasant Monetarist Arithmetic,"
NBER Working Papers
1295, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hamilton, James D & Flavin, Marjorie A, 1986.
"On the Limitations of Government Borrowing: A Framework for EmpiricalTesting,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 76(4), pages 808-19, September.
- James D. Hamilton & Marjorie A. Flavin, 1985. "On the Limitations of Government Borrowing: A Framework for Empirical Testing," NBER Working Papers 1632, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dwyer, Gerald P, Jr, 1982. "Inflation and Government Deficits," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 20(3), pages 315-29, July.
- Thomas M. Supel & Richard M. Todd, 1984. "Should currency be priced like cars?," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Spr.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eej:eeconj:v:14:y:1988:i:3:p:263-270. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Victor Matheson, College of the Holy Cross)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.