Antecedents and temporal dynamics of strategic divergence in multinational corporations: Evidence from Europe
Coordinating consistent strategy implementation has been identified a key challenge for multi-national corporations. Based on intraorganizational evolutionary models of strategy formation, this paper thus empirically investigates the antecedents and temporal dynamics of strategic divergence. Strategic divergence is the deviation of a firm's resource allocation decisions with its articulated concept of corporate strategy. Large-scale empirical analysis of 11,406 resource allocation decisions of twenty-five publicly listed, multi-national and multi-business European firms indicates that decision type, operational and divisional manager involvement in decision making and structural context changes exert a significant influence on strategic divergence. Importantly, results further suggest that firms’ levels of strategic divergence tend to increase over time and that the antecedents of strategic divergence have a differential impact as time passes.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 48 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hausman, Jerry & Hall, Bronwyn H & Griliches, Zvi, 1984.
"Econometric Models for Count Data with an Application to the Patents-R&D Relationship,"
Econometric Society, vol. 52(4), pages 909-38, July.
- Jerry A. Hausman & Bronwyn H. Hall & Zvi Griliches, 1984. "Econometric Models for Count Data with an Application to the Patents-R&D Relationship," NBER Technical Working Papers 0017, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Segal-Horn, Susan & Dean, Alison, 2009. "Delivering 'effortless experience' across borders: Managing internal consistency in professional service firms," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 41-50, January.
- W Chang Kim & Renée A Mauborgne, 1993. "Effectively Conceiving and Executing Multinationals′ Worldwide Strategies," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(3), pages 419-448, September.
- Henry Mintzberg, 1978. "Patterns in Strategy Formation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(9), pages 934-948, May.
- J. A. Hausman, 1976.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
185, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Sascha L. Schmidt & Matthias Brauer, 2006. "Strategic Governance: how to assess board effectiveness in guiding strategy execution," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(1), pages 13-22, 01.
- Burgelman, Robert A., 2002. "Strategy as Vector and the Inertia of Co-evolutionary Lock-in," Research Papers 1745, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Kendall Roth & Allen J Morrison, 1992. "Implementing Global Strategy: Characteristics of Global Subsidiary Mandates," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(4), pages 715-735, December.
- Ansgar Richter & Sascha L. Schmidt, 2005. "How Does Strategy Process Influence Strategy Content? Antecedents Of Consistency Between Resource Allocation Decisions And Corporate Strategy," Schmalenbach Business Review (sbr), LMU Munich School of Management, vol. 57(4), pages 332-350, October.
- Matthias Brauer & Sascha Schmidt, 2006. "Exploring Strategy Implementation Consistency Over Time: The Moderating Effects of Industry Velocity and Firm Performance," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 205-226, 05.
- Robert A. Burgelman, 1983. "Corporate Entrepreneurship and Strategic Management: Insights from a Process Study," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(12), pages 1349-1364, December.
- Jon I Martinez & J Carlos Jarillo, 1991. "Coordination Demands of International Strategies," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 22(3), pages 429-444, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:worbus:v:48:y:2013:i:1:p:110-121. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.