Growth is Good for Whom, When, How? Economic Growth and Poverty Reduction in Exceptional Cases
Summary Economic growth and liberal economic policies often help the poor, but what about the numerous cases in which they do not? This article analyzes two types of cases: those in which income growth of the poor was significantly lower than expectations ("negative exceptions") and those in which income growth of the poor significantly exceeded expectations ("positive exceptions"). Insights from these cases inform our theoretical understanding of poverty reduction. In addition, this article contributes a typology of strategies used in these cases, including alternative pathways to economic growth and neoliberal prescriptions for poverty reduction.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ravallion, Martin & Shaohua Chen, 2004.
"China's (uneven) progress against poverty,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3408, The World Bank.
- Ravallion, Martin, 2001.
"Growth, Inequality and Poverty: Looking Beyond Averages,"
Elsevier, vol. 29(11), pages 1803-1815, November.
- Ravallion, Martin, 2001. "Growth, inequality, and poverty : looking beyond averages," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2558, The World Bank.
- Rodriguez, Adrian G. & Smith, Stephen M., 1994.
"A comparison of determinants of urban, rural and farm poverty in Costa Rica,"
Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 381-397, March.
- Rodriguez, Adrian G. & Smith, Stephen M., 1994. "A comparison of determinants of urban, rural and farm poverty in Costa Rica," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages I-I, May.
- Dorward, Andrew & Kydd, Jonathan & Morrison, Jamie & Urey, Ian, 2004.
"A Policy Agenda for Pro-Poor Agricultural Growth,"
Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 73-89, January.
- Gustafsson, Bjorn & Uusitalo, Hannu, 1990. "The Welfare State and Poverty in Finland and Sweden from the Mid-1960s to the Mid-1980s," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 36(3), pages 249-66, September.
- Glewwe, P., 1988. "The Distribution Of Welfare In Peru In 1985-86," Papers 42, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement.
- Coulombe, Harold & Mckay, Andrew, 1996. "Modeling determinants of poverty in Mauritania," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 1015-1031, June.
- Kanbur, Ravi, 1998.
"Income Distribution and Development,"
179323, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Sen, Amartya, 1983. "Development: Which Way Now?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 93(372), pages 742-62, December.
- Ravallion, Martin, 2005. "Inequality is bad for the poor," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3677, The World Bank.
- Wood, Elisabeth & Segovia, Alexander, 1995. "Macroeconomic policy and the Salvadoran peace accords," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(12), pages 2079-2099, December.
- Gustafsson, Bjorn & Li, Shi, 2004. "Expenditures on education and health care and poverty in rural China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 292-301.
- Boyce, James K., 1995. "Adjustment toward peace: An introduction," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(12), pages 2067-2077, December.
- Danielson, Anders, 2001. "When Do the Poor Benefit From Growth, and Why?," Working Papers 2001:12, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Raffaella Castagnini & Klaus Deininger & Maria A. Gonzalez, 2004. "Comparing land reform and land markets in colombia: impacts on equity and efficiency," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3258, The World Bank.
- Deininger, Klaus, 1999. "Making Negotiated Land Reform Work: Initial Experience from Colombia, Brazil and South Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 651-672, April.
- Linxiu Zhang & Jikun Huang & Scott Rozelle, 2003. "China's War on Poverty: Assessing Targeting and the Growth Impacts of Poverty Programs," Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(3), pages 301-317.
- Dollar, David & Kraay, Aart, 2002.
"Growth Is Good for the Poor,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 195-225, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:36:y:2008:i:11:p:2127-2143. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.