Public Policy, Markets and Household Coping Strategies in Bangladesh: Avoiding a Food Security Crisis Following the 1998 Floods
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Pitt, Mark M, 1983. "Food Preferences and Nutrition in Rural Bangladesh," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(1), pages 105-114, February.
- Strauss, J. & Thonas, D., 1990. "The Shape Of The Calorie-Expenditure Curve," Papers 595, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Subramanian, Shankar & Deaton, Angus, 1996. "The Demand for Food and Calories," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(1), pages 133-162, February.
- del Ninno, Carlo & Dorosh, Paul A., 2001.
"Averting a food crisis: private imports and public targeted distribution in Bangladesh after the 1998 flood,"
Blackwell, vol. 25(2-3), pages 337-346, September.
- Ninno, Carlo del & Dorosh, Paul A., 2001. "Averting a food crisis: private imports and public targeted distribution in Bangladesh after the 1998 flood," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 25(2-3), September.
- Dorosh, Paul A., 2001. "Trade Liberalization and National Food Security: Rice Trade between Bangladesh and India," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 673-689, April.
- Franque Grimard, 1996. "Does the Poor’s Consumption of Calories Respond to Changes in Income? Evidence from Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 35(3), pages 257-283.
- Ravallion, Martin, 1985. "The Performance of Rice Markets in Bangladesh during the 1974 Famine," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 95(377), pages 15-29, March.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dorosh, Paul & Malik, Sohail & Krausova, Marika, 2010. "Rehabilitating agriculture and promoting food security following the 2010 Pakistan floods: Insights from South Asian experience," IFPRI discussion papers 1028, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Banerjee, Lopamudra, 2007. "Effect of Flood on Agricultural Wages in Bangladesh: An Empirical Analysis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 1989-2009, November.
- Ameer Hyder & Nasir Iqbal, 2016. "Socio-Economic Losses of Flood and Household’s Coping Strategies: Evidence from Flood Prone District of Pakistan," PIDE-Working Papers 2016:142, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- Eleonora Nillesen & Philip Verwimp, 2010.
"A Phoenix in Flames? Portfolio Choice and Violence in Civil War in Rural Burundi,"
Research Working Papers
25, MICROCON - A Micro Level Analysis of Violent Conflict.
- Eleonora Nillesen & Philip Verwimp, 2010. "A Phoenix in Flames? Portfolio Choice and Violence in Civil War in rural Burundi," HiCN Working Papers 75, Households in Conflict Network.
- Philip Verwimp & Eleonora Nillesen, 2010. "A Phoenix in Flames ?Portfolio Choice and Violence in Civil War in Rural Burundi," Working Papers ECARES ECARES 2010-015, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Lopamudra Banerjee, 2016. "Catastrophes And Consumption Failure," The Singapore Economic Review (SER), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 61(01), pages 1-25, March.
- van den Berg, Marrit, 2010. "Household income strategies and natural disasters: Dynamic livelihoods in rural Nicaragua," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(3), pages 592-602, January.
- Omvir Singh & Hawa Singh, 2015. "The response of farmers to the flood hazard under rice–wheat ecosystem in Somb basin of Haryana, India: an empirical study," Natural Hazards: Journal of the International Society for the Prevention and Mitigation of Natural Hazards, Springer;International Society for the Prevention and Mitigation of Natural Hazards, vol. 75(1), pages 795-811, January.
- Alam, Mohammad Jahangir & Begum, Ismat Ara & Buysse, Jeroen & McKenzie, Andrew M. & Wailes, Eric J. & Van Huylenbroeck, Guido, 2010. "Testing Asymmetric Price Transmission in the Vertical Supply Chain in De-regulated Rice Markets in Bangladesh," 2010 Annual Meeting, July 25-27, 2010, Denver, Colorado 61374, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Hartwig de Haen & Günter Hemrich, 2007. "The economics of natural disasters: implications and challenges for food security," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 37(s1), pages 31-45, December.
- Arouri, Mohamed & Nguyen, Cuong & Youssef, Adel Ben, 2015.
"Natural Disasters, Household Welfare, and Resilience: Evidence from Rural Vietnam,"
Elsevier, vol. 70(C), pages 59-77.
- Mohamed Arouri & Adel Ben Youssef & Cuong Nguyen, 2015. "Natural Disasters, Household Welfare and Resilience: Evidence from Rural Vietnam," GREDEG Working Papers 2015-03, Groupe de REcherche en Droit, Economie, Gestion (GREDEG CNRS), University of Nice Sophia Antipolis.
- Mohamed Arouri & Adel Ben Youssef & Cuong Nguyen-Viet, 2015. "Natural Disasters, Household Welfare, and Resilience: Evidence from Rural Vietnam," Post-Print halshs-01109452, HAL.
- Kozel, Valerie & Fallavier, Pierre & Badiani, Reena, 2008. "Risk and vulnerability analysis in World Bank analytic work : FY2000-FY2007," Social Protection and Labor Policy and Technical Notes 44780, The World Bank.
- del Ninno, Carlo & Dorosh, Paul A. & Subbarao, Kalanidhi, 2007. "Food aid, domestic policy and food security: Contrasting experiences from South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 413-435, August.
- Lohmann, Steffen & Lechtenfeld, Tobias, 2015.
"The Effect of Drought on Health Outcomes and Health Expenditures in Rural Vietnam,"
Elsevier, vol. 72(C), pages 432-448.
- Tobias Lechtenfeld & Steffen Lohmann, 2014. "The Effect of Drought on Health Outcomes and Health Expenditures in Rural Vietnam," Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 156, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- Alderman, Harold & Haque, Trina, 2006. "Countercyclical safety nets for the poor and vulnerable," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 372-383, August.
- Mueller, Valerie & Quisumbing, Agnes, 2010. "Short- and long-term effects of the 1998 Bangladesh flood on rural wages," IFPRI discussion papers 956, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Nillesen, Eleonora & Verwim, Philip, 2010. "A Phoenix in Flames? Portfolio Choice and Violence in Civil War in Rural Burundi," WIDER Working Paper Series 044, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Kristina Czura & Stefan Klonner, 2018. "Financial Market Responses to a Natural Disaster: Evidence from Local Credit Networks and the Indian Ocean Tsunami," CESifo Working Paper Series 7354, CESifo Group Munich.
- repec:eee:jfpoli:v:69:y:2017:i:c:p:218-230 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hasan, Mohammad Monirul, 2014. "Climate change induced marginality: Households’ vulnerability in the meal consumption frequencies," MPRA Paper 88047, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:eee:wdevel:v:102:y:2018:i:c:p:358-376 is not listed on IDEAS
- Alvi, Eskander & Dendir, Seife, 2011. "Weathering the Storms: Credit Receipt and Child Labor in the Aftermath of the Great Floods (1998) in Bangladesh," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(8), pages 1398-1409, August.
- Huigen, Marco G.A. & Jens, Isabella C., 2006. "Socio-Economic Impact of Super Typhoon Harurot in San Mariano, Isabela, the Philippines," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(12), pages 2116-2136, December.
- Bhargava, Pradeep & Balana, Manju, 2006. "Realizing the Right to Food in South Asia," WIDER Working Paper Series 122, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Czura, Kristina & Klonner, Stefan, 2010. "The Tsunami and the Chit Fund- Evidence from the Indian Ocean Tsunami Hit on Credit Demand in South India," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Hannover 2010 46, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Hartwig de Haen, 2008. "Food Security Strategies: Building Resilience Against Natural Disasters," EuroChoices, The Agricultural Economics Society, vol. 7(3), pages 26-33, December.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:31:y:2003:i:7:p:1221-1238. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/worlddev .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.