Increased coordination in public transport--which mechanisms are available?
After several years of New Public Management reforms within public transport, coordination seems to receive increased attention. With examples of actual as well as suggested changes taken from Denmark, Sweden and the UK the aim of the article is to analyse and classify the mechanisms utilized and suggested to increase coordination between core stakeholders within passenger railway services and bus services. Four distinctive mechanisms of coordination are suggested, namely organisational coordination, contractual coordination, partnership coordination and discursive coordination. Each coordination mechanism has its strengths and failures. The article also debates to what extent the mechanisms conflict with three core characteristics of New Public Management: Unbundling of the public sector into corporatized units; more contract-based competitive provision; and greater emphasis on output controls.
Volume (Year): 18 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/30473/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wall, Graham & McDonald, Mike, 2007. "Improving bus service quality and information in Winchester," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 165-179, March.
- Stanley, John & Hensher, David A., 2008. "Delivering trusting partnerships for route bus services: A Melbourne case study," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(10), pages 1295-1301, December.
- O'Sullivan, Patrick J. & Patel, Toral, 2004. "Fragmentation in transport operations and the case for system integrity," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 215-225, July.
- Gwilliam, Ken, 2008. "Bus transport: Is there a regulatory cycle?," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(9), pages 1183-1194, November.
- Hensher, David A. & Stanley, John, 2008. "Transacting under a performance-based contract: The role of negotiation and competitive tendering," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(9), pages 1143-1151, November.
- Hood, Christopher, 1995. "The "new public management" in the 1980s: Variations on a theme," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 20(2-3), pages 93-109.
- Bo Enquist & Mikael Johnson & Carolina Camén, 2005. "Contractual governance for sustainable service," Qualitative Research in Accounting & Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 2(1), pages 29-53, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:trapol:v:18:y:2011:i:1:p:117-125. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.