Transport charging interventions and economic activity
The paper provides a synopsis of some of the key findings of a major research project concerning the impact of road user charging and workplace parking levies on economic activity and the relative limitations of different approaches to investigation of this subject. The processes of economic change that charging may set in motion and the direction and magnitude of impacts are explained. Explanation is also provided with respect to the tractability of different approaches to research in this theme. Within these contexts the main proportion of issues are established and some of the cardinal findings presented. The paper will contribute to the debate about the link between charging and economic vitality, the issues involved and which methodologies are most appropriate for evaluating economic activity.
Volume (Year): 12 (2005)
Issue (Month): 5 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/30473/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Willoughby, C., 2001. "Singapore's motorization policies 1960-2000," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 125-139, April.
- Still, B. G. & May, A. D. & Bristow, A. L., 1999. "The assessment of transport impacts on land use: practical uses in strategic planning," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 83-98, April.
- Anas, Alex & Xu, Rong, 1999. "Congestion, Land Use, and Job Dispersion: A General Equilibrium Model," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 451-473, May.
- May, A. D. & Liu, R. & Shepherd, S. P. & Sumalee, A., 2002. "The impact of cordon design on the performance of road pricing schemes," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 209-220, July.
- D C Simmonds, 1999. "The Design of the Delta Land-Use Modelling Package," Environment and Planning B, , vol. 26(5), pages 665-684, October.
- M Wegener, 1994. "Urban/Regional Models and Planning Cultures: Lessons from Cross-National Modelling Projects," Environment and Planning B, , vol. 21(5), pages 629-641, October.
- D C Simmonds, 1999. "The design of the DELTA land-use modelling package," Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 26(5), pages 665-684, September.
- Krugman, Paul, 1998. "What's New about the New Economic Geography?," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(2), pages 7-17, Summer.
- Whitehead, Tim, 2002. "Road user charging and business performance: identifying the processes of economic change," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 221-240, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:trapol:v:12:y:2005:i:5:p:451-463. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.