A hybrid implementation mechanism of tradable network permits system which obviates path enumeration: An auction mechanism with day-to-day capacity control
Akamatsu (2007a,b) proposed a new dynamic traffic congestion control scheme called tradable network permits, and demonstrated its efficiency properties for general road networks. To implement tradable permit markets, this paper proposes a novel auction mechanism with capacity control. This mechanism employs an evolutionary approach to achieve a dynamic system optimal allocation of network permits in a computationally efficient manner. We prove that the proposed mechanism has the following desirable properties: (i) truthful bidding is a dominant strategy for each user on each day and (ii) the permit allocation pattern under the mechanism converges to a dynamic system optimal allocation pattern.
Volume (Year): 60 (2013)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600244/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600244/bibliographic|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Smith, M. J., 1993. "A new dynamic traffic model and the existence and calculation of dynamic user equilibria on congested capacity-constrained road networks," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 49-63, February.
- Bikhchandani, Sushil & Mamer, John W., 1997. "Competitive Equilibrium in an Exchange Economy with Indivisibilities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 385-413, June.
- Milgrom,Paul, 2004.
"Putting Auction Theory to Work,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521536721, October.
- Arnott, Richard & de Palma, Andre & Lindsey, Robin, 1993. "A Structural Model of Peak-Period Congestion: A Traffic Bottleneck with Elastic Demand," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(1), pages 161-79, March.
- E Verhoef & P Nijkamp & P Rietveld, 1997. "Tradeable permits: their potential in the regulation of road transport externalities," Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 24(4), pages 527-548, July.
- Han, Deren & Yang, Hai, 2009. "Congestion pricing in the absence of demand functions," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 159-171, January.
- Nie, Yu (Marco), 2011. "A cell-based Merchant-Nemhauser model for the system optimum dynamic traffic assignment problem," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 329-342, February.
- Theodore Tsekeris & Stefan Voß, 2009. "Design and evaluation of road pricing: state-of-the-art and methodological advances," Netnomics, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 5-52, April.
- Montgomery, W. David, 1972. "Markets in licenses and efficient pollution control programs," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 395-418, December.
- Jean Jacques Laffont, 1977. "More on Prices vs. Quantities," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 44(1), pages 177-182.
- Han, Sangjin, 2003. "Dynamic traffic modelling and dynamic stochastic user equilibrium assignment for general road networks," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 225-249, March.
- Edward Clarke, 1971. "Multipart pricing of public goods," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 17-33, September.
- Sandholm, William H., 2007. "Pigouvian pricing and stochastic evolutionary implementation," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 132(1), pages 367-382, January.
- Peter Cramton & Yoav Shoham & Richard Steinberg (ed.), 2006. "Combinatorial Auctions," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262033429.
- Dušan Teodorović & Konstantinos Triantis & Praveen Edara & Yueqin Zhao & Snežana Mladenović, 2008. "Auction-Based Congestion Pricing," Transportation Planning and Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(4), pages 399-416, March.
- Yang, Hai & Wang, Xiaolei, 2011. "Managing network mobility with tradable credits," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 580-594, March.
- Kuwahara, Masao, 2007. "A theory and implications on dynamic marginal cost," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 41(7), pages 627-643, August.
- Yang, Hai & Meng, Qiang, 1998. "Departure time, route choice and congestion toll in a queuing network with elastic demand," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 247-260, May.
- Martin L. Weitzman, 1974.
"Prices vs. Quantities,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 41(4), pages 477-491.
- Leonard, Herman B, 1983. "Elicitation of Honest Preferences for the Assignment of Individuals to Positions," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(3), pages 461-79, June.
- Richard Arnott & Andre de Palma & Robin Lindsey, 1985.
"Economics of a Bottleneck,"
636, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Viegas, José M., 2001. "Making urban road pricing acceptable and effective: searching for quality and equity in urban mobility," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 289-294, October.
- Gabrielle Demange & Gale David & Marilda Sotomayor, 1986.
- William Vickrey, 1961. "Counterspeculation, Auctions, And Competitive Sealed Tenders," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 16(1), pages 8-37, 03.
- Nisan, Noam & Ronen, Amir, 2001. "Algorithmic Mechanism Design," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 35(1-2), pages 166-196, April.
- Vickrey, William S, 1969. "Congestion Theory and Transport Investment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(2), pages 251-60, May.
- Thomas H. Tietenberg, 1980. "Transferable Discharge Permits and the Control of Stationary Source Air Pollution: A Survey and Synthesis," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 56(4), pages 391-416.
- Iryo, Takamasa, 2011. "Multiple equilibria in a dynamic traffic network," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 45(6), pages 867-879, July.
- Groves, Theodore, 1973. "Incentives in Teams," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(4), pages 617-31, July.
- William H. Sandholm, 2002. "Evolutionary Implementation and Congestion Pricing," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 69(3), pages 667-689.
- Dale McDaniel & Mike Devine, 1977. "A Modified Benders' Partitioning Algorithm for Mixed Integer Programming," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(3), pages 312-319, November.
- Doan, Kien & Ukkusuri, Satish & Han, Lanshan, 2011. "On the existence of pricing strategies in the discrete time heterogeneous single bottleneck model," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 45(9), pages 1483-1500.
- S.J. Rassenti & V.L. Smith & R.L. Bulfin, 1982. "A Combinatorial Auction Mechanism for Airport Time Slot Allocation," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 13(2), pages 402-417, Autumn.
- Bikhchandani, Sushil & Ostroy, Joseph M., 2002. "The Package Assignment Model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 377-406, December.
- Yang, Hai & Meng, Qiang & Lee, Der-Horng, 2004. "Trial-and-error implementation of marginal-cost pricing on networks in the absence of demand functions," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 477-493, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transe:v:60:y:2013:i:c:p:94-112. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.