Effect of advanced traveler information systems and road pricing in a network with non-recurrent congestion
The effect of the application of advanced transport information system (ATIS) and road pricing is studied in a transportation system under non-recurrent congestion. A stochastic network deterministic user equilibrium model (SNDUE) with elastic demand is formulated and used to evaluate the welfare and private impacts of different market penetrations of ATIS, together with road pricing for a simple network. Both marginal first-best road pricing and a second-best fixed road pricing are considered. The incentives of private users to use ATIS are analyzed and the characteristics of optimum tolls as a function of ATIS market penetration are shown. We conclude that ATIS is an efficient and necessary tool to reduce the effects of non-recurrent incidents in a transportation network, especially when non-recurrent congestion causes a significant deterioration of operational conditions of the network. If the impact of non-recurrent incidents on free flow costs is small or is reduced only to congestion effects, the use of road pricing would be more efficient. Social benefits obtained when jointly implementing ATIS and road pricing are practically the same whether first-best or second-best road pricing is used. Considering the private costs perceived by the network users, and the benefits experienced by equipped users, the maximum level of market penetration achieved could be limited because private benefits disappear after certain market penetration is obtained.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 43 (2009)
Issue (Month): 5 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yang, Hai, 1998. "Multiple equilibrium behaviors and advanced traveler information systems with endogenous market penetration," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 205-218, April.
- Rong Zhang & Erik T. Verhoef, 2004.
"A Monopolistic Market for Advanced Traveller Information Systems and Road Use Efficiency,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
04-014/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Zhang, Rong & Verhoef, Erik T., 2006. "A monopolistic market for advanced traveller information systems and road use efficiency," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 424-443, June.
- Levinson, David & Gillen, David & Chang, Elva, 1999. "Assessing the Benefits and Costs of Intelligent Transportation Systems: The Value of Advanced Traveler Information Systems," Institute of Transportation Studies, Research Reports, Working Papers, Proceedings qt9m8534tc, Institute of Transportation Studies, UC Berkeley.
- Robin Lindsey & Andre de Palma, 1998. "Information and Usage of Congestible Facilities Under Different Pricing Regimes," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 31(3), pages 666-692, August.
- Hai Yang, 1999. "Evaluating the benefits of a combined route guidance and road pricing system in a traffic network with recurrent congestion," Transportation, Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 299-322, August.
- Verhoef, Erik T. & Emmerink, Richard H. M. & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 1996. "Information provision, flat and fine congestion tolling and the efficiency of road usage," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 505-529, August.
- Al-Deek, Haitham M. & Khattak, Asad J. & Thananjeyan, Paramsothy, 1998. "A combined traveler behavior and system performance model with advanced traveler information systems," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 479-493, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transa:v:43:y:2009:i:5:p:481-499. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.