Financial liberalisation, corporate governance and the efficiency of firms in Indian manufacturing
In this paper, we argue that the way in which a firm is financed will affect its efficiency. Firms obtaining finance from the government are likely to be less efficient than firms obtaining finance from banks or foreign financial institutions (FFIs). We analyse these issues by estimating a stochastic frontier for firms in 7 manufacturing industries in India where these differences have been reinforced by financial de-regulation. Our results indicate that the government is generally less effective in monitoring the firms that it lends to than either banks or Indian Financial Institutions (IFIs), but neither of these intstitutions is particularly efficient either. Though the impact of FFIs on firm efficiency is insignificant, foreign ownership has a positive impact in a majority of the industries. Finally, likelihood ratio tests confirm that while the government and IFIs have a similar impact on firm efficiency, banks are quite distinct in a majority of industries
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Uma Kambhampati & Ashok Parikh, 2003. "Disciplining firms: the impact of trade reforms on profit margins in Indian industry," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(4), pages 461-470.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- Miurin, Paolo & Sommariva, Andrea, 1993. "The financial reforms in central and Eastern European countries and in China," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 883-911, September.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Singh, A., 1997.
"Liberalisation, the Stock Market and the Market for Corporate Control: A Bridge Too Far for the Indian Economy?,"
Accounting and Finance Discussion Papers
97-af35, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Singh, Ajit, 1998. "Liberalisation, the stock market and the market for corporate control: a bridge too far for the Indian economy?," MPRA Paper 54929, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- James Tybout, 1999.
"Manufacturing Firms in Developing Countries: How Well Do They Do, and Why?,"
Development and Comp Systems
9906001, EconWPA, revised 10 Jun 1999.
- James R. Tybout, 2000. "Manufacturing Firms in Developing Countries: How Well Do They Do, and Why?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 38(1), pages 11-44, March.
- James Tybout, 1998. "Manufacturing Firms In Developing Countries: How Well Do They Do, And Why?," Development and Comp Systems 9805004, EconWPA.
- Tybout, James, 1998. "Manufacuring firms in developing countries - how well do they do, and why?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1965, The World Bank.
- Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C, 1984. "Production Frontiers and Panel Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 2(4), pages 367-74, October.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1996.
"Financial Dependence and Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
5758, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicolás S., 1945-, 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Working papers 1523-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Carlin, Wendy & Mayer, Colin, 2003.
"Finance, investment, and growth,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 191-226, July.
- Wendy Carlin & Colin Mayer, 1999. "Finance, Investment and Growth," OFRC Working Papers Series 1999fe09, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Colin Mayer & Wendy Carlin, 1999. "Finance, Investment and Growth," Economics Series Working Papers 1999-FE-09, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Carlin, Wendy & Mayer, Colin, 1999. "Finance, Investment and Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 2233, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Corbett, Jenny & Mayer, Colin, 1991.
"Financial Reform in Eastern Europe: Progress with the Wrong Model,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 7(4), pages 57-75, Winter.
- Corbett, Jennifer & Mayer, Colin, 1991. "Financial Reform in Eastern Europe: Progress With the Wrong Model," CEPR Discussion Papers 603, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Erik Berglof & Ernst-Ludwig von Thadden, 1999.
"The Changing Corporate Governance Paradigm: Implications for Transition and Developing Countries,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
263, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Erik BERGLÖF & Ernst-Ludwig VON THADDEN, 1999. "The Changing Corporate Governance Paradigm : Implications for Transition and Developing Countries," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 9912, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Samuel, Cherian, 1996. "The stockmarket as a source of finance : a comparison of U.S. and Indian firms," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1592, The World Bank.
- Meeusen, Wim & van den Broeck, Julien, 1977. "Efficiency Estimation from Cobb-Douglas Production Functions with Composed Error," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 18(2), pages 435-44, June.
- Suma Athreye & Sandeep Kapur, 2006.
"Industrial concentration in a liberalising economy: A study of Indian manufacturing,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(6), pages 981-999.
- Suma Athreye & Sandeep Kapur, 2004. "Industrial Concentration in a Liberalising Economy: a Study of Indian Manufacturing," Open Discussion Papers in Economics 51, The Open University, Faculty of Social Sciences, Department of Economics.
- Allen, Franklin & Gale, Douglas, 1999. "Bubbles, Crises, and Policy," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 15(3), pages 9-18, Autumn.
- Clarke, Roger & Davies, Stephen & Waterson, Michael, 1984. "The Profitability-Concentration Relation: Market Power or Efficiency?," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(4), pages 435-50, June.
- Khanna, Tarun & Kogan, Joe & Palepu, Krishna, 2002. "Globalization and Similarities in Corporate Governance: A Cross-Country Analysis," CEI Working Paper Series 2002-6, Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- T. G. Arun & J. D. Turner, 2002. "Financial Sector Reforms in Developing Countries: The Indian Experience," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(3), pages 429-445, 03.
- Stewart C. Myers & Nicholas S. Majluf, 1984. "Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions When Firms Have InformationThat Investors Do Not Have," NBER Working Papers 1396, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicholas S., 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 187-221, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:streco:v:17:y:2006:i:1:p:46-69. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.