Efficiency, Technological Progress and Regional Comparative Advantage: A Study of Organised Manufacturing Sector in India
Technological upgradation and increasing capital intensity in organised manufacturing sector in India has been championed on grounds of improving productivity, efficiency, and competitiveness. In a developing economy this is a costly proposition due to capital scarcity, and the effect of technological changes on productivity and efficiency levels have to be estimated before taking such policies. This paper seeks to estimate trends in Factor Productivity, Technological Progress, and Technological Efficiency in this sector and examines their relative importance also. Technical Efficiency is observed to be moderate and further declining in the nineties. Substantial disparity exists among regions and product groups regarding Efficiency, Technical Progress and Efficiency changes. It is found that increasing capital intensity has been associated with falling productivity, efficiency, and technological deceleration in the nineties. Wider diffusion rather than greater capital use is thus recommended for productivity rise. Regional efficiency matrix is also prepared so that states can focus on specific areas where they have comparative advantages.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bulent Unel, 2003. "Productivity Trends in India's Manufacturing Sectors in the Last Two Decades," IMF Working Papers 03/22, International Monetary Fund.
- repec:ind:iegddp:28 is not listed on IDEAS
- K.P. Kalirajan & M.B. Obwona & S. Zhao, 1996. "A Decomposition of Total Factor Productivity Growth: The Case of Chinese Agricultural Growth before and after Reforms," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(2), pages 331-338.
- Uma Kambhampati, 2003. "Trade Reforms and the Efficiency of Firms in India," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(2), pages 219-233.
- Bauer, Paul W., 1990. "Recent developments in the econometric estimation of frontiers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 39-56.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:12758. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.