High-dimensional generation of Bernoulli random vectors
The objective of this paper is to explore different modeling strategies to generate high-dimensional Bernoulli vectors. We discuss the multivariate Bernoulli (MB) distribution, probe its properties and examine three models for generating random vectors. A latent multivariate normal model whose bivariate distributions are approximated with Plackett distributions with univariate normal distributions is presented. A conditional mean model is examined where the conditional probability of success depends on previous history of successes. A mixture of beta distributions is also presented that expresses the probability of the MB vector as a product of correlated binary random variables. Each method has a domain of effectiveness. The latent model offers unpatterned correlation structures while the conditional mean and the mixture model provide computational feasibility for high-dimensional generation of MB vectors.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 81 (2011)
Issue (Month): 8 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bahjat F. Qaqish, 2003. "A family of multivariate binary distributions for simulating correlated binary variables with specified marginal means and correlations," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 90(2), pages 455-463, June.
- Farrell, Patrick J. & Sutradhar, Brajendra C., 2006. "A non-linear conditional probability model for generating correlated binary data," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 76(4), pages 353-361, February.
- Patrick J. Farrell & Katrina Rogers-Stewart, 2008. "Methods for Generating Longitudinally Correlated Binary Data," International Statistical Review, International Statistical Institute, vol. 76(1), pages 28-38, 04.
- N. Rao Chaganty & Harry Joe, 2006. "Range of correlation matrices for dependent Bernoulli random variables," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 93(1), pages 197-206, March.
- James, Barry & James, Kang & Qi, Yongcheng, 2008. "Limit theorems for correlated Bernoulli random variables," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(15), pages 2339-2345, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:stapro:v:81:y:2011:i:8:p:1136-1142. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.