A multiobjective modeling approach to locating incinerators
The location of hazardous material incineration facilities is an important problem due to the environmental, social, and economic impacts that they impose. The costs associated with the facilities and the risks placed on nearby populations are important concerns as are the distributions of these costs and risks. This paper introduces a mixed-integer, multiobjective programming approach to identify the locations and capacities of such facilities. The approach incorporates a Gaussian dispersion model and a multiobjective optimization model in a GIS-based interactive decision support system that planners can access via the Internet. The proposed approach is demonstrated via a case study in central Portugal where the national government has decided to locate a large facility for the incineration of hazardous industrial waste. Due to intense local and national opposition, construction of the facility has been delayed. The system has been designed so that it can be used by decision makers with no special training in dispersion modeling, multiobjective programming, or GIS.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:pio:envirb:v:15:y:1988:i:2:p:165-179 is not listed on IDEAS
- Terry Ross, G. & Soland, Richard M., 1980. "A multicriteria approach to the location of public facilities," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 4(5), pages 307-321, May.
- repec:pio:envira:v:35:y:2003:i:5:p:931-946 is not listed on IDEAS
- Marsh, Michael T. & Schilling, David A., 1994. "Equity measurement in facility location analysis: A review and framework," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 1-17, April.
- Current, John & Min, Hokey & Schilling, David, 1990. "Multiobjective analysis of facility location decisions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 295-307, December.
- Charles Revelle & David Marks & Jon C. Liebman, 1970. "An Analysis of Private and Public Sector Location Models," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 16(11), pages 692-707, July.
- Schilling, David A. & Revelle, Charles & Cohon, Jared & Elzinga, D. Jack, 1980. "Some models for fire protection locational decisions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 1-7, July.
- Erkut, Erhan & Neuman, Susan, 1989. "Analytical models for locating undesirable facilities," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 275-291, June.
- Robert E. Kohn, 1971. "Application of Linear Programming to a Controversy on Air Pollution Control," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 17(10), pages B609-B621, June.
- S J Ratick & A L White, 1988. "A Risk-Sharing Model for Locating Noxious Facilities," Environment and Planning B, , vol. 15(2), pages 165-179, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:soceps:v:43:y:2009:i:2:p:111-120. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.