Red light, green light: Color priming in financial decisions
Colors are widely present in the financial decision making arena: at firms’ and data providers’ websites; television reports; newspaper publications; advertizements; security market displays, with colors such as red and green prominently employed. Our experimental analysis involves a between subject design exposing subjects to financial substance on colored backgrounds and exploring the effect on their investment decisions. We focus on financial decisions under uncertainty about probability, examining subjects’ investment valuations and the probabilities they assign to the possible outcomes.
Volume (Year): 41 (2012)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620175|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruce, Vicki & Gilmore, David & Mason, Lynn & Mayhew, Pamela, 1983. "Factors affecting the perceived value of coins," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 335-347, December.
- Sarah R. Pryke & Staffan Andersson & Michael J. Lawes & Steven E. Piper, 2002. "Carotenoid status signaling in captive and wild red-collared widowbirds: independent effects of badge size and color," Behavioral Ecology, International Society for Behavioral Ecology, vol. 13(5), pages 622-631, September.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-91, March.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7656, David K. Levine.
- Kocher, Martin G. & Sutter, Matthias, 2010.
"Introduction to special issue "The Economics and Psychology of Football","
Munich Reprints in Economics
18181, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Kocher, Martin G. & Sutter, Matthias, 2010. "Introduction to special issue "The Economics and Psychology of Football"," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 155-157, April.
- Kliger, Doron & Levy, Ori, 2008. "Mood impacts on probability weighting functions: "Large-gamble" evidence," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 1397-1411, August.
- Camerer, Colin & Weber, Martin, 1992. " Recent Developments in Modeling Preferences: Uncertainty and Ambiguity," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 325-70, October.
- Bechara, Antoine & Damasio, Antonio R., 2005. "The somatic marker hypothesis: A neural theory of economic decision," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 336-372, August.
- Charness, Gary & Gneezy, Uri, 2008. "What's in a name? Anonymity and social distance in dictator and ultimatum games," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-35, October.
- David Hirshleifer & Tyler Shumway, 2003.
"Good Day Sunshine: Stock Returns and the Weather,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 58(3), pages 1009-1032, 06.
- Burnham, Terence C., 2003. "Engineering altruism: a theoretical and experimental investigation of anonymity and gift giving," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 133-144, January.
- Uri Gneezy & Aldo Rustichini, 2000. "Pay Enough or Don't Pay at All," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 115(3), pages 791-810.
- Tversky, Amos & Kahneman, Daniel, 1992. " Advances in Prospect Theory: Cumulative Representation of Uncertainty," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 297-323, October.
- Mark J. Kamstra & Lisa A. Kramer & Maurice D. Levi, 2003.
"Winter Blues: A SAD Stock Market Cycle,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 324-343, March.
- Dalia Gilad & Doron Kliger, 2008. "Priming the Risk Attitudes of Professionals in Financial Decision Making," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 12(3), pages 567-586.
- Saunders, Edward M, Jr, 1993. "Stock Prices and Wall Street Weather," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1337-45, December.
- Uri Gneezy & Stephan Meier & Pedro Rey-Biel, 2011. "When and Why Incentives (Don't) Work to Modify Behavior," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 25(4), pages 191-210, Fall.
- Kliger, Doron & Levy, Ori, 2003. "Mood-induced variation in risk preferences," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 52(4), pages 573-584, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:soceco:v:41:y:2012:i:5:p:738-745. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.