Mapping public support for innovation: A comparison of policy alignment in the UK and France
This paper proposes and tests a three-dimensional model of public support design as a framework to compare public incentives for innovation in firms through time and across countries, and consequently to compare forms of policy alignment of innovation objectives in an economy. Using data on 149 French and British policy programmes from the early 1980s to 2002, this paper shows that policy-makers implement programmes within a different three-dimensional design space in order to align several distinctive objectives and consequently strengthen the impact of governmental measures. Moreover, as the objectives of the national players and policy-makers evolved, the portfolio of innovation policies also evolved in their separate ways. Nevertheless, some similar trends are also observed.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goldman, M. & Ergas, H. & Ralph, E. & Felker, G., 1997. "Technology Institutions and Policies. Their Role in Developing Technological Capability in Industry," Papers 383, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Justman, Moshe & Teubal, Morris, 1995. "Technological infrastructure policy (TIP): Creating capabilities and building markets," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 259-281, March.
- Metcalfe, J S, 2001. "Institutions and Progress," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(3), pages 561-586, September.
- Teubal, Morris, 1997. "A catalytic and evolutionary approach to horizontal technology policies (HTPs)," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(8), pages 1161-1188, January.
- Teubal, Morris & Andersen, Esben, 2000. "Enterprise Restructuring and Embeddedness: A Policy and Systems Perspective," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(1), pages 87-111, March.
- Lall, Sanjaya & Teubal, Morris, 1998. ""Market-stimulating" technology policies in developing countries: A framework with examples from East Asia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(8), pages 1369-1385, August.
- Cantner, Uwe & Pyka, Andreas, 2001.
"Classifying technology policy from an evolutionary perspective,"
Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 759-775, May.
- Andreas Pyka & Uwe Cantner, 1999. "Classifying Technology Policy from an Evolutionary Perspective," Discussion Paper Series 184, Universitaet Augsburg, Institute for Economics.
- Bressers, Hans Th. A. & Jr, Laurence J. O'Toole,, 1998. "The Selection of Policy Instruments: a Network-based Perspective," Journal of Public Policy, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(03), pages 213-239, December.
- John Stanley Metcalfe & Ronnie Ramlogan, 2007. "Competition and the Regulation of Economic Development," Chapters,in: Competitive Advantage and Competition Policy in Developing Countries, chapter 2 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Metcalfe, J.S. & Ramlogan, R., 2005. "Competition and the regulation of economic development," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 45(2-3), pages 215-235, May.
- von Tunzelmann, Nick, 2003. "Historical coevolution of governance and technology in the industrial revolutions," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 365-384, December.
- Mytelka, Lynn K. & Smith, Keith, 2002. "Policy learning and innovation theory: an interactive and co-evolving process," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(8-9), pages 1467-1479, December.
- André Tosi Furtado & Saul B Suslick & Newton M Pereira & Adriana G de Freitas & Laurent Bach, 1999. "Assessment of direct and indirect effects of large technological programmes: Petrobrás Deepwater Programme in Brazil," Research Evaluation, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(3), pages 155-163, December.
- Schneider, Anne & Ingram, Helen, 1988. "Systematically Pinching Ideas: A Comparative Approach to Policy Design," Journal of Public Policy, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(01), pages 61-80, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)