The social costs of electricity: Do the numbers add up?
Several recent studies have mounted major efforts to estimate the social cost of electricity generation. This paper provides an overview of this literature and a focused qualitative and quantitative comparison of the most comprehensive and rigorous of these studies. The paper also provides a synthesis that can help reduce the cost of future applications of these methods.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Darwin C. Hall, 1990. "Preliminary Estimates Of Cumulative Private And External Costs Of Energy," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 8(3), pages 283-307, 07.
- Jeffrey A. Dubin & Geoffrey S. Rothwell, 1990. "Subsidy To Nuclear Power Through Price-Anderson Liability Limit," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 8(3), pages 73-79, 07.
- Yoshiaki Kaoru & V. Kerry Smith & Jin Long Liu, 1995. "Using Random Utility Models to Estimate the Recreational Value of Estuarine Resources," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 77(1), pages 141-151.
- Rowe, Robert D. & Lang, Carolyn M. & Chestnut, Lauraine G., 1996. "Critical factors in computing externalities for electricity resources," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 363-394, December.
- Krupnick, Alan J. & Harrington, Winston & Ostro, Bart, 1990. "Ambient ozone and acute health effects: Evidence from daily data," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 1-18, January.
- W. Kip Viscusi & Wesley A. Magat & Alan Carlin & Mark K. Dreyfus, 1994. "Environmentally Responsible Energy Pricing," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 23-42.
- Joel R. Hamilton & M. Henry Robison & Norman K. Whittlesey & John Ellis, 1991. "Economic Impacts, Value Added, and Benefits in Regional Project Analysis," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 73(2), pages 334-344.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:resene:v:18:y:1996:i:4:p:423-466. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.