Regional differentiation of rural household biogas development and related driving factors in China
Lack of clean energy supply remains a challenge in China, particularly in rural areas with large population. Biogas production from anaerobic digestion of biomass is an efficient technology for energy strategy in China. This paper reviews the importance of household biogas in China and discusses the regional differentiation of rural household biogas (RHB), and related driving factors. Gray correlation analysis showed that regional differentiation of RHB exhibited the highest correlation degree with temperature (0.889), followed by raw materials, rural population, and levels of income and education. According to the total biogas production in China, the development regions of RHB was separated into Region 1, Region 2 and Region 3. The highest development level of RHB was found in Region 2 with a total biogas production of 1.2×1010m3, accounting for 77.6% of the total TBP of China in 2012. Moreover, the RHB development levels in Region 1 and Region 3 were 1.84×109 and 1.69×109m3, respectively. Basing on the results of regional differentiation of RHB and characteristic of the primary influence factors in different regions, this study proposes that RHB development must be further promoted by combining actual situation of different regions to avoid blind development.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 67 (2017)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Du, Yang & Park, Albert & Wang, Sangui, 2005. "Migration and rural poverty in China," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 688-709, December.
- Feng, Yongzhong & Guo, Yan & Yang, Gaihe & Qin, Xiaowei & Song, Zilin, 2012. "Household biogas development in rural China: On policy support and other macro sustainable conditions," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 16(8), pages 5617-5624.
- Zheng, Y.H. & Wei, J.G. & Li, J. & Feng, S.F. & Li, Z.F. & Jiang, G.M. & Lucas, M. & Wu, G.L. & Ning, T.Y., 2012. "Anaerobic fermentation technology increases biomass energy use efficiency in crop residue utilization and biogas production," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 16(7), pages 4588-4596.
- Jiang, Xinyuan & Sommer, Sven G. & Christensen, Knud V., 2011. "A review of the biogas industry in China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 6073-6081, October.
- Gustafsson, Björn & LI, Shi & Sato, Hiroshi, 2014.
"Data for studying earnings, the distribution of household income and poverty in China,"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 419-431.
- Gustafsson, Björn Anders & Li, Shi & Sato, Hiroshi, 2014. "Data for Studying Earnings, the Distribution of Household Income and Poverty in China," IZA Discussion Papers 8244, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Tu, Wubin & Zhang, LingXian & Zhou, Zhongren & Liu, Xue & Fu, Zetian, 2011. "The development of renewable energy in resource-rich region: A case in China," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 856-860, January.
- Yang, Yanli & Zhang, Peidong & Li, Guangquan, 2012. "Regional differentiation of biogas industrial development in China," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 16(9), pages 6686-6693.
- Lixiao Zhang & Changbo Wang, 2014. "Energy and GHG Analysis of Rural Household Biogas Systems in China," Energies, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 7(2), pages 1-18, February.
- Han, Jingyi & Mol, Arthur P.J. & Lu, Yonglong & Zhang, Lei, 2008. "Small-scale bioenergy projects in rural China: Lessons to be learnt," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 2154-2162, June.
- Niu, Hewen & He, Yuanqing & Desideri, Umberto & Zhang, Peidong & Qin, Hongyi & Wang, Shijin, 2014. "Rural household energy consumption and its implications for eco-environments in NW China: A case study," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 65(C), pages 137-145.
- Wang, Xiaojiao & Lu, Xingang & Yang, Gaihe & Feng, Yongzhong & Ren, Guangxin & Han, Xinhui, 2016. "Development process and probable future transformations of rural biogas in China," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 55(C), pages 703-712.
- Chen, Yu & Hu, Wei & Feng, Yongzhong & Sweeney, Sandra, 2014. "Status and prospects of rural biogas development in China," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 679-685.
- Zeng, Xianyang & Ma, Yitai & Ma, Lirong, 2007. "Utilization of straw in biomass energy in China," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 11(5), pages 976-987, June.
- Fan, Jie & Liang, Yu-tian & Tao, An-jun & Sheng, Ke-rong & Ma, Hai-Long & Xu, Yong & Wang, Chuan-Sheng & Sun, Wei, 2011. "Energy policies for sustainable livelihoods and sustainable development of poor areas in China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 1200-1212, March.
- Sun, Dingqiang & Bai, Junfei & Qiu, Huanguang & Cai, Yaqing, 2014. "Impact of government subsidies on household biogas use in rural China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 73(C), pages 748-756.
- Qu, Wei & Tu, Qin & Bluemling, Bettina, 2013. "Which factors are effective for farmers’ biogas use?–Evidence from a large-scale survey in China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 63(C), pages 26-33.
- Gosens, Jorrit & Lu, Yonglong & He, Guizhen & Bluemling, Bettina & Beckers, Theo A.M., 2013. "Sustainability effects of household-scale biogas in rural China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 54(C), pages 273-287.
- Abdeshahian, Peyman & Lim, Jeng Shiun & Ho, Wai Shin & Hashim, Haslenda & Lee, Chew Tin, 2016. "Potential of biogas production from farm animal waste in Malaysia," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 60(C), pages 714-723.
- Liang, Long & Wu, Wenliang & Lal, Rattan & Guo, Yanbin, 2013. "Structural change and carbon emission of rural household energy consumption in Huantai, northern China," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 767-776.
- Wang, Chengchao & Yang, Yusheng & Zhang, Yaoqi, 2012. "Rural household livelihood change, fuelwood substitution, and hilly ecosystem restoration: Evidence from China," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 2475-2482.
- Chen, Yu & Hu, Wei & Sweeney, Sandra, 2013. "Resource availability for household biogas production in rural China," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 655-659.
- Deng, Yanfei & Xu, Jiuping & Liu, Ying & Mancl, Karen, 2014. "Biogas as a sustainable energy source in China: Regional development strategy application and decision making," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 294-303.
- Garfí, Marianna & Martí-Herrero, Jaime & Garwood, Anna & Ferrer, Ivet, 2016. "Household anaerobic digesters for biogas production in Latin America: A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 60(C), pages 599-614.
- Leung, Dennis Y. C. & Yin, X. L. & Wu, C. Z., 2004. "A review on the development and commercialization of biomass gasification technologies in China," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 8(6), pages 565-580, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:rensus:v:67:y:2017:i:c:p:1008-1018. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.