Development process and probable future transformations of rural biogas in China
In order to provide a clear guidance for biogas development in rural China, the progress and current status of rural biogas, critical factors influencing biogas development in rural areas, and probable biogas transformations are discussed in this paper. Rural biogas in China experiences rapid development in the past fifteen years and subsidies and policies from Chinese government are two main driving forces for promoting this development. For the recent days, the growth rate of household biogas decreased and that of Medium-to-large biogas projects (MLBPs) obviously increased. Several surveys showed that the utilization rate of household biogas greatly decreased and more and more digesters were discontinued. The underlying reasons for these changes come from the development of large-scale livestock farms, agricultural modernization and urbanization, which deeply affect the agricultural and social environment in rural China. The development of these agricultural and social factors all create positive conditions for MLBPs, but they negatively affect household biogas projects in terms of biomass supply and their participation in modern agricultural processes. Ongoing transformations and developments in local agriculture and rural society significantly influence the patterns of biogas projects. For future biogas development, MLBPs should be encouraged and the reduction of household biogas projects should be allowed to continue. However, recommendations on probable biogas development transformations suggest that the decision for expanding or abandoning the household projects in certain regions should be consistent with the developments and trends of local agriculture and society. For MLBPs, suitable developing models and reasonable operating mechanisms should be fully considered for assuring their benefits and continuous operation.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 55 (2016)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Feng, Yongzhong & Guo, Yan & Yang, Gaihe & Qin, Xiaowei & Song, Zilin, 2012. "Household biogas development in rural China: On policy support and other macro sustainable conditions," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 16(8), pages 5617-5624.
- Jiang, Xinyuan & Sommer, Sven G. & Christensen, Knud V., 2011. "A review of the biogas industry in China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 6073-6081, October.
- Tu, Wubin & Zhang, LingXian & Zhou, Zhongren & Liu, Xue & Fu, Zetian, 2011. "The development of renewable energy in resource-rich region: A case in China," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 856-860, January.
- Pantaleo, Antonio & Gennaro, Bernardo De & Shah, Nilay, 2013. "Assessment of optimal size of anaerobic co-digestion plants: An application to cattle farms in the province of Bari (Italy)," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 20(C), pages 57-70.
- Chen, Yu & Yang, Gaihe & Sweeney, Sandra & Feng, Yongzhong, 2010. "Household biogas use in rural China: A study of opportunities and constraints," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 545-549, January.
- Han, Jingyi & Mol, Arthur P.J. & Lu, Yonglong & Zhang, Lei, 2008. "Small-scale bioenergy projects in rural China: Lessons to be learnt," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 2154-2162, June.
- Chen, Ling & Zhao, Lixin & Ren, Changshan & Wang, Fei, 2012. "The progress and prospects of rural biogas production in China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 51(C), pages 58-63.
- Chen, Yu & Hu, Wei & Feng, Yongzhong & Sweeney, Sandra, 2014. "Status and prospects of rural biogas development in China," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 679-685.
- Sun, Dingqiang & Bai, Junfei & Qiu, Huanguang & Cai, Yaqing, 2014. "Impact of government subsidies on household biogas use in rural China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 73(C), pages 748-756.
- Qu, Wei & Tu, Qin & Bluemling, Bettina, 2013. "Which factors are effective for farmers’ biogas use?–Evidence from a large-scale survey in China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 63(C), pages 26-33.
- Kathrin Specht & Rosemarie Siebert & Ina Hartmann & Ulf Freisinger & Magdalena Sawicka & Armin Werner & Susanne Thomaier & Dietrich Henckel & Heike Walk & Axel Dierich, 2014. "Urban agriculture of the future: an overview of sustainability aspects of food production in and on buildings," Agriculture and Human Values, Springer;The Agriculture, Food, & Human Values Society (AFHVS), vol. 31(1), pages 33-51, March.
- He, Guizhen & Bluemling, Bettina & Mol, Arthur P.J. & Zhang, Lei & Lu, Yonglong, 2013. "Comparing centralized and decentralized bio-energy systems in rural China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 63(C), pages 34-43.
- Li, Changjiang & Liao, Yuncheng & Wen, Xiaoxia & Wang, Yangfeng & Yang, Fei, 2015. "The development and countermeasures of household biogas in northwest grain for green project areas of China," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 835-846.
- Ding, Wenguang & Niu, Hewen & Chen, Jinsong & Du, Jun & Wu, Yang, 2012. "Influence of household biogas digester use on household energy consumption in a semi-arid rural region of northwest China," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 97(C), pages 16-23.
- Deng, Yanfei & Xu, Jiuping & Liu, Ying & Mancl, Karen, 2014. "Biogas as a sustainable energy source in China: Regional development strategy application and decision making," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 294-303.
- van Groenendaal, Willem & Gehua, Wang, 2010. "Microanalysis of the benefits of China's family-size bio-digesters," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 4457-4466.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:rensus:v:55:y:2016:i:c:p:703-712. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.