Greener energy: Issues and challenges for Pakistan—Solar energy prospective
Energy plays a pivotal role in socio-economic development by raising standard of living. It is becoming gradually accepted that current energy systems, networks encompassing every thing from primary energy sources to final energy services, are becoming unsustainable. Development of conventional forms of energy for meeting the growing energy needs of society at a reasonable cost is the responsibility of the Governments. In recent years, public and political sensitivities to environmental issues and energy security have led to the promotion of renewable energy resources. Diversification of fuel sources is imperative to address these issues; and limited fossil resources and environmental problems associated with them have emphasized the need for new sustainable energy supply options that use renewable energies. Development and promotion of new non-conventional, alternate and renewable sources of energy such as solar, wind and bio-energy, etc. are now getting sustained attention. Solar power is one of the hottest areas in energy investment right now, but there is much debate about the future of solar technology and solar energy markets. This investigates the progress and challenges for solar power in Pakistan according to the overall concept of sustainable development, and identifies the region wise potential of solar power in Pakistan and its current status. Barriers are examined over the whole solar energy spectrum and policy issues and institutional roles and responsibilities are discussed.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 16 (2012)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Khan, Mohammad Azam & Latif, Noman, 2010. "Environmental friendly solar energy in Pakistan's scenario," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(8), pages 2179-2181, October.
- Mirza, Umar K. & Maroto-Valer, M. Mercedes & Ahmad, Nasir, 2003. "Status and outlook of solar energy use in Pakistan," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 7(6), pages 501-514, December.
- Han, Jingyi & Mol, Arthur P.J. & Lu, Yonglong, 2010. "Solar water heaters in China: A new day dawning," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 383-391, January.
- Cavallaro, Fausto, 2010. "A comparative assessment of thin-film photovoltaic production processes using the ELECTRE III method," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 463-474, January.
- Ong, K.S., 1999. "Solar dryers in the Asia-Pacific region," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 779-784.
- Parida, Bhubaneswari & Iniyan, S. & Goic, Ranko, 2011. "A review of solar photovoltaic technologies," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 1625-1636, April.
- Mirza, Umar K. & Ahmad, Nasir & Harijan, Khanji & Majeed, Tariq, 2009. "Identifying and addressing barriers to renewable energy development in Pakistan," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 927-931, May.
- Kalogirou, Soteris, 2003. "The potential of solar industrial process heat applications," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 76(4), pages 337-361, December.
- Fthenakis, Vasilis & Mason, James E. & Zweibel, Ken, 2009. "The technical, geographical, and economic feasibility for solar energy to supply the energy needs of the US," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 387-399, February.
- El-Sayed, Mohamed A. H., 2005. "Solar supported steam production for power generation in Egypt," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(10), pages 1251-1259, July.
- Sahir, Mukhtar H. & Qureshi, Arshad H., 2008. "Assessment of new and renewable energy resources potential and identification of barriers to their significant utilization in Pakistan," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 290-298, January.
- Sharma, Atul & Chen, C.R. & Vu Lan, Nguyen, 2009. "Solar-energy drying systems: A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(6-7), pages 1185-1210, August.
- Raja, Iftikhar A. & Dougar, M.G. & Abro, R.S., 1996. "Solar energy applications in Pakistan," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 1128-1131.
- Fudholi, A. & Sopian, K. & Ruslan, M.H. & Alghoul, M.A. & Sulaiman, M.Y., 2010. "Review of solar dryers for agricultural and marine products," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 1-30, January.
- Muthusivagami, R.M. & Velraj, R. & Sethumadhavan, R., 2010. "Solar cookers with and without thermal storage--A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 691-701, February.
- Waqasullah Khan Shinwari & Fahd Ali & A. H. Nayyar, 2004. "Electric Power Generation from Solar Photovoltaic Technology: Is It Marketable in Pakistan?," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 43(3), pages 267-294.
- Liu, Li-qun & Wang, Zhi-xin & Zhang, Hua-qiang & Xue, Ying-cheng, 2010. "Solar energy development in China--A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 301-311, January.
- Duke, Richard & Williams, Robert & Payne, Adam, 2005. "Accelerating residential PV expansion: demand analysis for competitive electricity markets," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(15), pages 1912-1929, October.
- Muneer, T. & Asif, M. & Cizmecioglu, Z. & Ozturk, H.K., 2008. "Prospects for solar water heating within Turkish textile industry," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 807-823, April.
- Sherwani, A.F. & Usmani, J.A. & Varun, 2010. "Life cycle assessment of solar PV based electricity generation systems: A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 540-544, January.
- Karagiorgas, M. & Botzios, A. & Tsoutsos, T., 2001. "Industrial solar thermal applications in Greece: Economic evaluation, quality requirements and case studies," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 157-173, June.
- Ali Samee, Muhammad & Mirza, Umar K. & Majeed, Tariq & Ahmad, Nasir, 2007. "Design and performance of a simple single basin solar still," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 543-549, April.
- S. Narayan, 2009. "India," Chapters, in: The Political Economy of Trade Reform in Emerging Markets, chapter 7 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Gude, Veera Gnaneswar & Nirmalakhandan, Nagamany & Deng, Shuguang, 2011. "Desalination using solar energy: Towards sustainability," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 78-85.
- Varun & Bhat, I.K. & Prakash, Ravi, 2009. "LCA of renewable energy for electricity generation systems--A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 1067-1073, June.
- Topcu, Y.I & Ulengin, F, 2004. "Energy for the future: An integrated decision aid for the case of Turkey," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 137-154.
- Purohit, Ishan & Purohit, Pallav, 2010. "Techno-economic evaluation of concentrating solar power generation in India," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 3015-3029, June.
- Pillai, Indu R. & Banerjee, Rangan, 2009. "Renewable energy in India: Status and potential," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 970-980.
- Muneer, T. & Maubleu, S. & Asif, M., 2006. "Prospects of solar water heating for textile industry in Pakistan," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 1-23, February.
- Arjunan, T.V. & Aybar, H.S. & Nedunchezhian, N., 2009. "Status of solar desalination in India," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(9), pages 2408-2418, December.
- Tsoutsos, Theocharis & Gekas, Vasilis & Marketaki, Katerina, 2003. "Technical and economical evaluation of solar thermal power generation," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 873-886.
- Augustus Leon, M. & Kumar, S. & Bhattacharya, S. C., 2002. "A comprehensive procedure for performance evaluation of solar food dryers," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 367-393, August.
- Nikolay Nenovsky & S. Statev, 2006. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00260898, HAL.
- Muneer, Tariq & Asif, Muhammad & Munawwar, Saima, 2005. "Sustainable production of solar electricity with particular reference to the Indian economy," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 9(5), pages 444-473, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:rensus:v:16:y:2012:i:5:p:2762-2780. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.