Emerging symbiosis: Renewable energy and energy security
This article reviews the evolution of “energy security” as a concept guiding strategic energy planning and demonstrates how fossil fuel technologies which once enjoyed a symbiotic relationship with energy security no longer contribute to the goals of enhanced energy security. Conversely, renewable energy technologies now fulfill many of the objectives that modern energy security enhancement initiatives aim to achieve. The article concludes that the existing fragmented structure of the renewable energy technology sector places the sector at a financial disadvantage when trying to break the technological lock that fossil fuel technologies have on energy provision and argues for a unified effort aimed at fostering improved public understanding of alternative technology capabilities and mustering political support for a transition away from fossil fuel technologies. Failure to unify may lead to nuclear power or fossil fuel combustion and carbon capture and sequestration becoming entrenched as the preferred near-term approach to CO2 abatement.
Volume (Year): 15 (2011)
Issue (Month): 9 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bollen, Johannes & Hers, Sebastiaan & van der Zwaan, Bob, 2010.
"An integrated assessment of climate change, air pollution, and energy security policy,"
Elsevier, vol. 38(8), pages 4021-4030, August.
- Bob van der Zwaan & Johannes Bollen & Sebastiaan Hers, 2009. "An Integrated Assessment of Climate Change, Air Pollution, and Energy Security Policy," Working Papers 2009.105, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Charles, Michael B. & Ryan, Rachel & Ryan, Neal & Oloruntoba, Richard, 2007. "Public policy and biofuels: The way forward?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 5737-5746, November.
- Radoslav S. Dimitrov, 2010. "Inside UN Climate Change Negotiations: The Copenhagen Conference," Review of Policy Research, Policy Studies Organization, vol. 27(6), pages 795-821, November.
- Valentina Bosetti & Carlo Carraro & Massimo Tavoni, 2009.
"Climate Change Mitigation Strategies in Fast-Growing Countries: The Benefits of Early Action,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2742, CESifo Group Munich.
- Valentina Bosetti & Carlo Carraro & Massimo Tavoni, 2009. "Climate Change Mitigation Strategies in Fast-Growing Countries: The Benefits of Early Action," Working Papers 2009_13, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Bosetti, Valentina & Carraro, Carlo & Tavoni, Massimo, 2009. "Climate Change Mitigation Strategies in Fast-Growing Countries: The Benefits of Early Action," CEPR Discussion Papers 7394, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Massimo Tavoni & Valentina Bosetti & Carlo Carraro, 2009. "Climate Change Mitigation Strategies in Fast-Growing Countries: The Benefits of Early Action," Working Papers 2009.53, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Chalvatzis, Konstantinos J. & Hooper, Elizabeth, 2009. "Energy security vs. climate change: Theoretical framework development and experience in selected EU electricity markets," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(9), pages 2703-2709, December.
- Verbruggen, Aviel & Fischedick, Manfred & Moomaw, William & Weir, Tony & Nadaï, Alain & Nilsson, Lars J. & Nyboer, John & Sathaye, Jayant, 2010. "Renewable energy costs, potentials, barriers: Conceptual issues," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 850-861, February.
- Boehmer-Christiansen, Sonja A., 1990. "Energy policy and public opinion Manipulation of environmental threats by vested interests in the UK and West Germany," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(9), pages 828-837, November.
- Bang, Guri, 2010. "Energy security and climate change concerns: Triggers for energy policy change in the United States?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 1645-1653, April.
- Omann, Ines & Stocker, Andrea & Jäger, Jill, 2009. "Climate change as a threat to biodiversity: An application of the DPSIR approach," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 24-31, November.
- J.J.C. Bruggink, B.C.C. van der Zwaan, 2002. "The role of nuclear energy in establishing sustainable energy paths," International Journal of Global Energy Issues, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 18(2/3/4), pages 151-180.
- Peter J. Boettke & Christopher J. Coyne & Peter T. Leeson, 2015.
"Institutional stickiness and the New Development Economics,"
in: Culture and Economic Action, chapter 6, pages 123-146
- Peter J. Boettke & Christopher J. Coyne & Peter T. Leeson, 2008. "Institutional Stickiness and the New Development Economics," American Journal of Economics and Sociology, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 67(2), pages 331-358, 04.
- Brown, Stephen P.A. & Huntington, Hillard G., 2008. "Energy security and climate change protection: Complementarity or tradeoff?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(9), pages 3510-3513, September.
- Bolinger, Mark & Wiser, Ryan, 2009. "Wind power price trends in the United States: Struggling to remain competitive in the face of strong growth," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 1061-1071, March.
- Tonn, Bruce & Healy, K.C. & Gibson, Amy & Ashish, Ashutosh & Cody, Preston & Beres, Drew & Lulla, Sam & Mazur, Jim & Ritter, A.J., 2009. "Power from Perspective: Potential future United States energy portfolios," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 1432-1443, April.
- Valentine, Scott, 2010. "Braking wind in Australia: A critical evaluation of the renewable energy target," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(7), pages 3668-3675, July.
- Valentine, Scott Victor & Sovacool, Benjamin K., 2010. "The socio-political economy of nuclear power development in Japan and South Korea," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(12), pages 7971-7979, December.
- Trainer, Ted, 2010. "Can renewables etc. solve the greenhouse problem? The negative case," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(8), pages 4107-4114, August.
- Valentine, Scott Victor, 2010. "Canada's constitutional separation of (wind) power," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 1918-1930, April.
- Stern, Roger J., 2010. "United States cost of military force projection in the Persian Gulf, 1976-2007," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 2816-2825, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:rensus:v:15:y:2011:i:9:p:4572-4578. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.