A STEP toward understanding wind power development policy barriers in advanced economies
A widely accepted premise regarding wind power development policy is that implementation of economic policy instruments, which are designed to close the cost gap between wind power and entrenched fossil fuel power generation technologies, will significantly catalyze enhanced levels of wind power development activity. This paper contests this premise by arguing that non-economic barriers to wind power development have the capacity to significantly inhibit wind power development in industrialized nations despite the implementation of economic policy instruments. Forces which deter wind power development in four economically advanced economies that exhibit phlegmatic progress in wind power development - Australia, Canada, Japan and Taiwan - are identified and amalgamated into a STEP framework describing social, technical, economic and political forces that inhibit wind power development. The conclusions of this analysis are twofold. First, failure to mitigate these STEP forces may undermine the efficacy of any given economic policy instrument that aims to close the cost gap between wind power and entrenched generation technologies. Second, attempts to mitigate these impediments might represent a way to achieve better policy results with less government financial commitment.
Volume (Year): 14 (2010)
Issue (Month): 9 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Snyder, Brian & Kaiser, Mark J., 2009. "Ecological and economic cost-benefit analysis of offshore wind energy," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1567-1578.
- Saddler, Hugh & Diesendorf, Mark & Denniss, Richard, 2007. "Clean energy scenarios for Australia," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 1245-1256, February.
- Liming, Huang & Haque, Emdad & Barg, Stephan, 2008. "Public policy discourse, planning and measures toward sustainable energy strategies in Canada," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 91-115, January.
- Valentine, Scott Victor, 2010. "Canada's constitutional separation of (wind) power," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 1918-1930, April.
- Chang, Tsang-Jung & Wu, Yu-Ting & Hsu, Hua-Yi & Chu, Chia-Ren & Liao, Chun-Min, 2003. "Assessment of wind characteristics and wind turbine characteristics in Taiwan," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 851-871.
- Weber, Christopher L. & Peters, Glen P., 2009. "Climate change policy and international trade: Policy considerations in the US," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 432-440, February.
- Tsai, W. T. & Chou, Y. H., 2005. "Overview of environmental impacts, prospects and policies for renewable energy in Taiwan," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 119-147, April.
- Chen, Falin & Lu, Shyi-Min & Chi-Chuan, Wang & Chang, Yi-Lin, 2008. "Promotion strategies for renewable energy in Taiwan," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 12(6), pages 1681-1691, August.
- Wu, J.H. & Huang, Y.H., 2006. "Renewable energy perspectives and support mechanisms in Taiwan," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 31(11), pages 1718-1732.
- Owen, Anthony D., 2009. "The inquiry into electricity supply in New South Wales," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 570-576, February.
- Bor, Yunchang Jeffrey & Chou, Feng-Ying, 2003. "The issue of the fourth nuclear power plant and its impact on 3-E problems in Taiwan--empirical evidence from the energy forecasting (EnFore) system," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(11), pages 1129-1136, September.
- Firestone, Jeremy & Kempton, Willett, 2007. "Public opinion about large offshore wind power: Underlying factors," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 1584-1598, March.
- MacGill, Iain & Outhred, Hugh & Nolles, Karel, 2006. "Some design lessons from market-based greenhouse gas regulation in the restructured Australian electricity industry," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 11-25, January.
- Ushiyama, Izumi, 1999. "Wind energy activities in Japan," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 811-816.
- Blanco, María Isabel, 2009. "The economics of wind energy," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(6-7), pages 1372-1382, August.
- DeCarolis, Joseph F. & Keith, David W., 2006. "The economics of large-scale wind power in a carbon constrained world," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 395-410, March.
- Schläpfer, August, 2009. "Hidden biases in Australian energy policy," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 456-460.
- Lin, Chyou-Jong & Yu, Oliver S. & Chang, Chung-Liang & Liu, Yuin-Hong & Chuang, Yuh-Fa & Lin, Yu-Liang, 2009. "Challenges of wind farms connection to future power systems in Taiwan," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1926-1930.
- Gross, Catherine, 2007. "Community perspectives of wind energy in Australia: The application of a justice and community fairness framework to increase social acceptance," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 2727-2736, May.
- Min Wang, King, 2006. "The deregulation of Taiwan electricity supply industry," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(16), pages 2509-2520, November.
- Hofman, Karen & Li, Xianguo, 2009. "Canada's energy perspectives and policies for sustainable development," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(4), pages 407-415, April.
- Huang, Yun-Hsun & Wu, Jung-Hua, 2009. "A transition toward a market expansion phase: Policies for promoting wind power in Taiwan," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 437-447.
- Valentine, Scott, 2010. "Braking wind in Australia: A critical evaluation of the renewable energy target," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(7), pages 3668-3675, July.
- Yue, Cheng-Dar & Liu, Chung-Ming & Liou, Eric M. L., 2001. "A transition toward a sustainable energy future: feasibility assessment and development strategies of wind power in Taiwan," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(12), pages 951-963, October.
- Maruyama, Yasushi & Nishikido, Makoto & Iida, Tetsunari, 2007. "The rise of community wind power in Japan: Enhanced acceptance through social innovation," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 2761-2769, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:rensus:v:14:y:2010:i:9:p:2796-2807. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.