The fiscal externality of multifamily housing and its impact on the property tax: Evidence from cities and schools, 1980–2010
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Hamilton, Bruce W, 1976. "Capitalization of Intrajurisdictional Differences in Local Tax Prices," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(5), pages 743-753, December.
- Geoffrey K. Turnbull & Jonathan Dombrow & C.F. Sirmans, 2006. "Big House, Little House: Relative Size and Value," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 34(3), pages 439-456, September.
- Eric A. Hanushek & Kuzey Yilmaz, 2015. "Land-use Controls, Fiscal Zoning, and the Local Provision of Education," Public Finance Review, , vol. 43(5), pages 559-585, September.
- Caroline M. Hoxby, 2001.
"All School Finance Equalizations are Not Created Equal,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 116(4), pages 1189-1231.
- Caroline M. Hoxby, 1998. "All School Finance Equalizations Are Not Created Equal," NBER Working Papers 6792, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zabel, Jeffrey & Dalton, Maurice, 2011.
"The impact of minimum lot size regulations on house prices in Eastern Massachusetts,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 41(6), pages 571-583.
- Maurice Dalton & Jeffrey Zabel, 2009. "The Impact of Minimum Lot Size Regulations on House Prices in Eastern Massachusetts," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0732, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Mieszkowski, Peter & Zodrow, George R, 1989. "Taxation and the Tiebout Model: The Differential Effects of Head Taxes, Taxes on Land Rents, and Property Taxes," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 27(3), pages 1098-1146, September.
- Glaeser, Edward L. & Ward, Bryce A., 2009. "The causes and consequences of land use regulation: Evidence from Greater Boston," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 265-278, May.
- Bucovetsky, S., 1984. "On the effects of minimum-lot-size zoning," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 189-193.
- Calabrese, Stephen & Epple, Dennis & Romano, Richard, 2007. "On the political economy of zoning," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(1-2), pages 25-49, February.
- Papke, Leslie E & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1996.
"Econometric Methods for Fractional Response Variables with an Application to 401(K) Plan Participation Rates,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(6), pages 619-632, Nov.-Dec..
- Leslie E. Papke & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 1993. "Econometric Methods for Fractional Response Variables with an Application to 401(k) Plan Participation Rates," NBER Technical Working Papers 0147, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jenny Schuetz, 2008. "Guarding the Town Walls: Mechanisms and Motives for Restricting Multifamily Housing in Massachusetts," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 36(3), pages 555-586, September.
- Morris A. Davis & Andreas Lehnert & Robert F. Martin, 2008.
"The Rent-Price Ratio For The Aggregate Stock Of Owner-Occupied Housing,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 54(2), pages 279-284, June.
- Morris A. Davis & Andreas Lehnert & Robert F. Martin, 2005. "The Rent-Price Ratio for the Aggregate Stock of Owner-Occupied Housing," Urban/Regional 0509019, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Marika Cabral & Caroline Hoxby, 2012. "The Hated Property Tax: Salience, Tax Rates, and Tax Revolts," NBER Working Papers 18514, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rolleston, Barbara Sherman, 1987. "Determinants of restrictive suburban zoning: An empirical analysis," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 1-21, January.
- Fischel, William A, 1992. "Property Taxation and the Tiebout Model: Evidence for the Benefit View from Zoning and Voting," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(1), pages 171-177, March.
- Leah J. Tsoodle & Tracy M. Turner, 2008. "Property Taxes and Residential Rents," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 36(1), pages 63-80, March.
- Bruce W. Hamilton, 1975. "Zoning and Property Taxation in a System of Local Governments," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 12(2), pages 205-211, June.
- Kurban, Haydar & Gallagher, Ryan M. & Persky, Joseph J., 2012. "Estimating Local Redistribution Through Property-Tax-Funded Public School Systems," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association;National Tax Journal, vol. 65(3), pages 629-651, September.
- Henderson, J. Vernon, 1985. "The impact of zoning policies which regulate housing quality," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 302-312, November.
- Jenny Schuetz, 2009. "No renters in my suburban backyard: Land use regulation and rental housing," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(2), pages 296-320.
- Buchanan, James M. & Goetz, Charles J., 1972. "Efficiency limits of fiscal mobility: An assessment of the tiebout model," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 25-43, April.
- Miceli, Thomas J., 1991. "Free riders and distortionary zoning by local communities," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 112-122, July.
- Gregory Burge & Keith Ihlanfeldt, 2006. "The Effects Of Impact Fees On Multifamily Housing Construction," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(1), pages 5-23.
- Epple, Dennis & Romer, Thomas & Filimon, Radu, 1988. "Community development with endogenous land use controls," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 133-162, March.
- Jan K. Brueckner, 1981. "Zoning and Property Taxation in a System of Local Governments: Further Analysis," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 18(1), pages 113-120, February.
More about this item
KeywordsMultifamily housing; Small homes; Fiscal externalities; Property tax; Fiscal zoning;
- H73 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - Interjurisdictional Differentials and Their Effects
- H71 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - State and Local Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue
- R51 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis - - - Finance in Urban and Rural Economies
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:regeco:v:60:y:2016:i:c:p:249-259. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/regec .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.