Bayesian estimation and model selection for spatial Durbin error model with finite distributed lags
In this paper we investigate a spatial Durbin error model with finite distributed lags and consider the Bayesian MCMC estimation of the model with a smoothness prior. We study also the corresponding Bayesian model selection procedure for the spatial Durbin error model, the spatial autoregressive model and the matrix exponential spatial specification model. We derive expressions of the marginal likelihood of the three models, which greatly simplify the model selection procedure. Simulation results suggest that the Bayesian estimates of high order spatial distributed lag coefficients are more precise than the maximum likelihood estimates. When the data is generated with a general declining pattern or a unimodal pattern for lag coefficients, the spatial Durbin error model can better capture the pattern than the SAR and the MESS models in most cases. We apply the procedure to study the effect of right to work (RTW) laws on manufacturing employment.
Volume (Year): 43 (2013)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/regec|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chib, Siddhartha & Greenberg, Edward, 1996.
"Markov Chain Monte Carlo Simulation Methods in Econometrics,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(03), pages 409-431, August.
- Siddhartha Chib & Edward Greenberg, 1994. "Markov Chain Monte Carlo Simulation Methods in Econometrics," Econometrics 9408001, EconWPA, revised 23 Feb 1995.
- L W Hepple, 1995. "Bayesian techniques in spatial and network econometrics: 2. Computational methods and algorithms," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 27(4), pages 615-644, April.
- Holloway, Garth & Shankar, Bhavani & Rahman, Sanzidur, 2002. "Bayesian spatial probit estimation: a primer and an application to HYV rice adoption," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 27(3), pages 383-402, November.
- Holloway, Garth & Shankar, Bhavani & Rahman, Sanzidur, 2002. "Bayesian spatial probit estimation: a primer and an application to HYV rice adoption," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 27(3), November.
- Han, Xiaoyi & Lee, Lung-fei, 2013. "Model selection using J-test for the spatial autoregressive model vs. the matrix exponential spatial model," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 250-271.
- Kelejian, Harry H. & Prucha, Ingmar R., 2010. "Specification and estimation of spatial autoregressive models with autoregressive and heteroskedastic disturbances," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 157(1), pages 53-67, July.
- Harry H. Kelejian & Ingmar R. Prucha, 2008. "Specification and Estimation of Spatial Autoregressive Models with Autoregressive and Heteroskedastic Disturbances," CESifo Working Paper Series 2448, CESifo Group Munich.
- L W Hepple, 1995. "Bayesian techniques in spatial and network econometrics: 1. Model comparison and posterior odds," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 27(3), pages 447-469, March.
- Charlene M. Kalenkoski & Donald J. Lacombe, 2006. "Right-to-work Laws and Manufacturing Employment: The Importance of Spatial Dependence," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 73(2), pages 402-418, October.
- Shiller, Robert J, 1973. "A Distributed Lag Estimator Derived from Smoothness Priors," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(4), pages 775-788, July.
- George, Edward I. & Sun, Dongchu & Ni, Shawn, 2008. "Bayesian stochastic search for VAR model restrictions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 142(1), pages 553-580, January.
- LeSage, James P. & Kelley Pace, R., 2007. "A matrix exponential spatial specification," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 190-214, September.
- Olivier Parent & James Lesage, 2005. "Bayesian Model Averaging for Spatial Econometric Models," Post-Print hal-00375489, HAL.
- Olivier Parent & James P. Lesage, 2007. "Bayesian Model Averaging for Spatial Econometric Models ," University of Cincinnati, Economics Working Papers Series 2007-02, University of Cincinnati, Department of Economics.
- L W Hepple, 1995. "Bayesian Techniques in Spatial and Network Econometrics: 1. Model Comparison and Posterior Odds," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 27(3), pages 447-469, March.
- James P. Lesage & Christina L. Ha, 2012. "The Impact of Migration on Social Capital: Do Migrants Take Their Bowling Balls with Them?," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(1), pages 1-26, 03.
- J. Barkley Rosser, 2009. "Introduction," Chapters,in: Handbook of Research on Complexity, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- William J. Moore & Robert J. Newman, 1985. "The Effects of Right-to-Work Laws: A Review of the Literature," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 38(4), pages 571-585, July.
- Chib S. & Jeliazkov I., 2001. "Marginal Likelihood From the Metropolis-Hastings Output," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 270-281, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)