Interactions with hidden complementarities
We consider a finite population simultaneous move game with heterogeneous interaction modes across different pairs of players. We allow for general interaction patterns, but restrict our analysis to games whose pure strategy Nash equilibrium conditions boil down to a set of piece-wise linear conditions, so that an equilibrium is a solution to a linear complementarity problem. We introduce a new class of games for which a suitable linear transformation of the original interaction matrix induces a game with complementarities. We provide general moderation conditions on the interaction matrix such that a game in this class has a unique Nash equilibrium, that we are able to characterize by means of a closed-form expression involving a generalized version of the Katz network measure of node centrality.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bramoulle, Yann & Kranton, Rachel, 2007. "Public goods in networks," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 478-494, July.
- Coralio Ballester & Antoni Calvo-Armengol & Yves Zenou, 2005.
"Who's Who in Networks. Wanted: the Key Player,"
NajEcon Working Paper Reviews
- Coralio Ballester & Antoni Calvó-Armengol & Yves Zenou, 2004. "Who's Who in Networks. Wanted: The Key Player," Working Papers 178, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Ballester, Coralio & Calvó-Armengol, Antoni & Zenou, Yves, 2005. "Who’s Who in Networks. Wanted: The Key Player," CEPR Discussion Papers 5329, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Leo Katz, 1953. "A new status index derived from sociometric analysis," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 39-43, March.
- Vives, X., 1988.
"Nash Equilibrium With Strategic Complementarities,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
107-88, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Charles D. Kolstad & Lars Mathiesen, 1987. "Necessary and Sufficient Conditions for Uniqueness of a Cournot Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 54(4), pages 681-690.
- Antoni Calvó-Armengol & Joan de Martí, 2007. "Communication Networks: Knowledge and Decisions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(2), pages 86-91, May.
- Coralio Ballester & Antoni Calvó-Armengol & Yves Zenou, 2010.
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 8(1), pages 34-61, 03.
- Ballester, Coralio & Calvó-Armengol, Antoni & Zenou, Yves, 2009. "Delinquent Networks," IZA Discussion Papers 4122, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Coralio Ballester & Antoni Calvo-Armengol & Yves Zenou, 2009. "Delinquent Networks," CReAM Discussion Paper Series 0912, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London.
- Ballester, Coralio & Calvó-Armengol, Antoni & Zenou, Yves, 2009. "Delinquent Networks," CEPR Discussion Papers 7293, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- George J. Borjas, 1997.
"To Ghetto or Not to Ghetto: Ethnicity and Residential Segregation,"
NBER Working Papers
6176, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Borjas, George J., 1998. "To Ghetto or Not to Ghetto: Ethnicity and Residential Segregation," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 228-253, September.
- Bamon, Rodrigo & Fraysse, Jean, 1985. "Existence of Cournot Equilibrium in Large Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(3), pages 587-97, May.
- Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, John, 1990. "Rationalizability, Learning, and Equilibrium in Games with Strategic Complementarities," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(6), pages 1255-77, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:regeco:v:40:y:2010:i:6:p:397-406. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.