Pricing and investment of cross-border transport infrastructure
We develop a simple two-country model of international trade in which the transportation cost between countries is endogenously determined by pricing and investment decisions of cross-border transport infrastructure. We evaluate alternative regimes of pricing and investment, i.e., free access (e.g., public road), pricing by two governments, and private operation. We also examine the effect of integrating operation. It is shown that investment rule in free access regime is inefficient. On the other hand, the investment rule is efficient if infrastructure charge is levied either by the government or by the private operators. We obtain the welfare ranking of alternative regimes under specific functional form, show how the welfare results depend on pricing policies.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Se-il Mun & Shintaro Nakagawa, 2008. "Cross-border transport infrastructure and aid policies," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 42(2), pages 465-486, June.
- David Levinson, 2000. "Revenue Choice on a Serial Network," Working Papers 200001, University of Minnesota: Nexus Research Group.
- AndrÊ de Palma & Robin Lindsey, 2000. "Private toll roads: Competition under various ownership regimes," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 34(1), pages 13-35.
- Ubbels, Barry & Verhoef, Erik T., 2008.
"Governmental competition in road charging and capacity choice,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 174-190, March.
- Barry Ubbels & Erik Verhoef, 2006. "Governmental Competition in Road Charging and Capacity Choice," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 06-036/3, Tinbergen Institute, revised 10 Sep 2007.
- De Borger, B. & Dunkerley, F. & Proost, S., 2007. "Strategic investment and pricing decisions in a congested transport corridor," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 294-316, September.
- De Borger Bruno & Dunkerley Fay & Proost Stef, 2006. "Strategic investment and pricing decisions in a congested transport corridor," Energy, Transport and Environment Working Papers Series ete0602, KU Leuven, Department of Economics - Research Group Energy, Transport and Environment.
- DE BORGER, Bruno & DUNKERLEY, Fay & PROOST, Stef, 2006. "Strategic investment and pricing decisions in a congested transport corridor," Working Papers 2006021, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Anderson, Simon P. & de Palma, Andre & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1988. "The CES and the logit : Two related models of heterogeneity," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 155-164, February.
- ANDERSON, P. & de PALMA, André & THISSE, Jacques-François, "undated". "The CES and the logit.Two related models of heterogeneity," CORE Discussion Papers RP 785, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bougheas, Spiros & Demetriades, Panicos O. & Morgenroth, Edgar L. W., 1999. "Infrastructure, transport costs and trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 169-189, February.
- Spiros Bougheas & Panicos Demetriades & Edgar Morgenroth, 1996. "Infrastructure, Transport Costs and Trade," Keele Department of Economics Discussion Papers (1995-2001) 96/7, Department of Economics, Keele University.
- Yang, Hai & Meng, Qiang, 2000. "Highway pricing and capacity choice in a road network under a build-operate-transfer scheme," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 207-222, April.
- Verhoef, Erik T., 2007. "Second-best road pricing through highway franchising," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 337-361, September.
- Erik T. Verhoef, 2005. "Second-best Road Pricing Through Highway Franchising," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 05-082/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Eric W. Bond, 2006. "Transportation Infrastructure Investments And Trade Liberalization," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 57(4), pages 483-500.
- Limao, Nuno & Venables, Anthony J., 1999. "Infrastructure, geographical disadvantage, and transport costs," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2257, The World Bank. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)