On the rationale of spatial discrimination with quantity-setting firms
We show in a game-theoretic model that when quantity-setting firms first choose whether to discriminate or not and then set quantities, the unique equilibrium consists in all firms selling a uniform quantity to all consumers. This sharply contrasts with the case of price-setting firms.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chia-Ming Yu & Fu-Chuan Lai, 2003.
"Cournot competition in spatial markets: Some further results,"
Economics of Governance,
Springer, vol. 82(4), pages 569-580, November.
- Chia-Ming Yu & Fu-Chuan Lai, 2003. "Cournot competition in spatial markets: Some further results," Papers in Regional Science, Springer, vol. 82(4), pages 569-580, November.
- Hamilton, Jonathan H. & Thisse, Jacques-Francois & Weskamp, Anita, 1989.
"Spatial discrimination : Bertrand vs. Cournot in a model of location choice,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 87-102, February.
- HAMILTON, Jonathan H. & THISSE, Jacques-FranÃ§ois & WESKAMP, Anita, . "Spatial discrimination. Bertrand vs. Cournot in a model of location choice," CORE Discussion Papers RP 846, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Pal, Debashis, 1998. "Does Cournot competition yield spatial agglomeration?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 49-53, July.
- Mayer, Thierry, 2000.
"Spatial Cournot competition and heterogeneous production costs across locations,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 325-352, May.
- Thierry Mayer, 2000. "Spatial Cournot Competition and Heterogeneous Production Costs Across Locations," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00267443, HAL.
- Mayer, T., 1999. "Spatial Cournot Competition and Heterogeneous Production Costs Across Locations," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 1999.89, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Toshihiro Matsumura & Daisuke Shimizu, 2006. "Cournot and Bertrand in shipping models with circular markets," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 85(4), pages 585-598, November.
- Matsushima, Noriaki, 2001. "Cournot competition and spatial agglomeration revisited," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 175-177, November.
- Takeshi Ebina & Toshihiro Matsumura & Daisuke Shimizu, 2009. "Mixed oligopoly and spatial agglomeration in quasi-linear city," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(4), pages 2722-2729.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:4:y:2004:i:15:p:1-6 is not listed on IDEAS
- Toshihiro Matsumura, 2003. "Consumer-benefiting exclusive territories," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 36(4), pages 1007-1025, November.
- Alessandra Chirco & Marcella Scrimitore & Corrado Benassi, 2007. "Spatial Discrimination with Quantity Competition and High Transportation Costs: a Note," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 12(1), pages 1-7.
- Li, Changying, 2006. "Location choice in a mixed oligopoly," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 131-141, January.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:12:y:2007:i:1:p:1-7 is not listed on IDEAS
- Matsumura, Toshihiro & Okamura, Makoto, 2006. "Equilibrium number of firms and economic welfare in a spatial price discrimination model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 90(3), pages 396-401, March.
- María Isabel Berenguer Maldonado & Santiago Carbó Valverde & Miguel Ángel Fortes Escalona, 2005. "Cournot Competition In A Two-Dimensional Circular City," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 73(1), pages 40-49, 01.
- Matsumura, Toshihiro & Shimizu, Daisuke, 2005. "Spatial Cournot competition and economic welfare: a note," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 658-670, November.
- Gupta, Barnali & Lai, Fu-Chuan & Pal, Debashis & Sarkar, Jyotirmoy & Yu, Chia-Ming, 2004. "Where to locate in a circular city?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 759-782, June.
- Eber, Nicolas, 1997. "A note on the strategic choice of spatial price discrimination," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 419-423, September.
- John Gross & William L. Holahan, 2003. "Credible Collusion in Spatially Separated Markets," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 44(1), pages 299-312, February.
- Anderson, Simon P & Neven, Damien J, 1991. "Cournot Competition Yields Spatial Agglomeration," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 32(4), pages 793-808, November.
- Barnali Gupta & Debashis Pal & Jyotirmoy Sarkar, 2006. "Product Differentiation and Location Choice in a Circular City," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(2), pages 313-331.
- Debashis Pal & Jyotirmoy Sarkar, 2006. "Spatial Cournot Competition among Multi-Plant Firms in a Circular City," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 73(1), pages 246–258, July.
- Shimizu, Daisuke, 2002. "Product differentiation in spatial Cournot markets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 317-322, August.
- Chamorro-Rivas, Jose-Maria, 2000. "Plant proliferation in a spatial model of Cournot competition," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 507-518, September.
- Matsumura, Toshihiro & Shimizu, Daisuke, 2005. "Economic welfare in delivered pricing duopoly: Bertrand and Cournot," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 112-119, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:reecon:v:65:y:2011:i:3:p:254-258. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.