Short-term market overreaction on the Frankfurt stock exchange
This paper offers out-of-sample evidence of subsequent short-term abnormal returns for stocks experiencing a price change of 10% or more in either direction on the German stock market between 1988 and 2007. First, we find significant evidence of overreaction which is not exclusively concentrated in small-caps. Second, some well documented anomalies and stock characteristics seem to exhibit explanatory power. However, when controlling for size only a reversal effect can pervasively explain the abnormal 1-day stock market reaction to price shocks. Third, due to transaction costs and unpredictable market sentiment these anomalies can hardly be exploited. After all, our robust findings suggest no violation of the efficient market hypothesis.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 1992. " The Cross-Section of Expected Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 427-65, June.
- Alonso, Aurora & Rubio, Gonzalo, 1990. "Overreaction in the Spanish equity market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(2-3), pages 469-481, August.
- Schiereck, D. & De Bondt, W. & Weber, M., 1999. "Contrarian and Momentum Strategies in Germany," Publications of Darmstadt Technical University, Institute for Business Studies (BWL) 35306, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute for Business Studies (BWL).
- Brown, Keith C. & Harlow, W. V. & Tinic, Seha M., 1988. "Risk aversion, uncertain information, and market efficiency," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 355-385, December.
- Hong, Harrison & Kacperczyk, Marcin, 2009. "The price of sin: The effects of social norms on markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 15-36, July.
- Mun, Johnathan C. & Vasconcellos, Geraldo M. & Kish, Richard, 1999. "Tests of the Contrarian Investment Strategy Evidence from the French and German stock markets," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 215-234, March.
- Stephen J. Larson & Jeff Madura, 2003. "What Drives Stock Price Behavior Following Extreme One-Day Returns," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 26(1), pages 113-127.
- Bremer, Marc & Hiraki, Takato & Sweeney, Richard J., 1997. "Predictable Patterns after Large Stock Price Changes on the Tokyo Stock Exchange," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 32(03), pages 345-365, September.
- Zarowin, Paul, 1990. "Size, Seasonality, and Stock Market Overreaction," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(01), pages 113-125, March.
- Jegadeesh, Narasimhan & Titman, Sheridan, 1993. " Returns to Buying Winners and Selling Losers: Implications for Stock Market Efficiency," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(1), pages 65-91, March.
- Banz, Rolf W., 1981. "The relationship between return and market value of common stocks," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 3-18, March.
- da Costa, Newton Jr., 1994. "Overreaction in the Brazilian stock market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 633-642, September.
- Pritamani, Mahesh & Singal, Vijay, 2001. "Return predictability following large price changes and information releases," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 631-656, April.
- De Bondt, Werner F M & Thaler, Richard, 1985. " Does the Stock Market Overreact?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(3), pages 793-805, July.
- Baytas, Ahmet & Cakici, Nusret, 1999. "Do markets overreact: International evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(7), pages 1121-1144, July.
- Atkins, Allen B. & Dyl, Edward A., 1990. "Price Reversals, Bid-Ask Spreads, and Market Efficiency," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(04), pages 535-547, December.
- Ising, Jan & Schiereck, Dirk & Simpson, Marc W. & Thomas, Thomas W., 2006. "Stock returns following large 1-month declines and jumps: Evidence of overoptimism in the German market," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 46(4), pages 598-619, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:quaeco:v:51:y:2011:i:2:p:113-123. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.