Loans, risks, and growth: The role of government and public banking in Paraguay
In Paraguay, banks are the center of the financial sector and provide the main source of external financing for corporations and small companies. Therefore, their behavior as credit providers has important effects on business investments. This paper presents a model that illustrates this fact and explains how it can be applied to any less-developed economy with a similar financial sector. In this model, the financial sector (bank loans) affects the long-run growth of the economy through the changes in the probability of loans repayment and other risks. In addition it is shown that governments have an important double role in the financial sector, providing adequate regulation and reducing specific identified market failures.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert J. Barro, 1995.
"Inflation and Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
5326, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Pagano, Marco, 1993. "Financial markets and growth: An overview," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 613-622, April.
- Santomero, Anthony M, 1984. "Modeling the Banking Firm: A Survey," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 16(4), pages 576-602, November.
- Jonathan Temple, 1999. "The New Growth Evidence," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(1), pages 112-156, March.
- Waller, Christopher J. & Lewarne, Stephen, 1994. "An expository model of credit rationing," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 539-545.
- Richard Startz, 1983.
"Competition and Interest Rate Ceilings in Commercial Banking,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 98(2), pages 255-265.
- Richard Startz, . "Competition and Interest Rate Ceilings in Commerical Banking," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 12-79, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Hannan, Timothy H, 1991. "Foundations of the Structure-Conduct-Performance Paradigm in Banking," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 23(1), pages 68-84, February.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:quaeco:v:48:y:2008:i:2:p:307-319. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.