Manufacturing strategy-technology relationship among auto suppliers
Each manufacturing plant has to develop its own path to success based on contingencies and on manufacturing practices links. On the basis of the latter, this paper tests the link between two of the most important manufacturing practices areas, manufacturing strategy (MS) and technology, without addressing causality or their combined effect on performance. This is done by selection fit, i.e. congruency adjustment. However, this paper goes beyond grouping both sets of practices in pairs, by using a more general selection view version, with practices from both sets related multidimensionally and subordinated by regression analysis to test for any congruent pattern. Regression results from a wide-ranging survey of auto supplier plants show that, in general, MS seems to have some kind of impact on technology, and that technology has some kind of influence on MS. In addition, a strong congruency between both practices areas is observed when using correlation. This suggests that when implementing or adjusting MS or technology, the other should also be considered; otherwise they may not operate effectively.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gerdin, Jonas & Greve, Jan, 2004. "Forms of contingency fit in management accounting research--a critical review," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 29(3-4), pages 303-326.
- Demeter, Krisztina, 2003. "Manufacturing strategy and competitiveness," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 2015-2213, January.
- Matsui, Yoshiki, 2002. "Contribution of manufacturing departments to technology development: An empirical analysis for machinery, electrical and electronics, and automobile plants in Japan," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 185-197, November.
- Nassimbeni, Guido, 1996. "Factors underlying operational JIT purchasing practices: Results of an empirical research," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 275-288, April.
- Lee Cronbach, 1951. "Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 16(3), pages 297-334, September.
- Luft, Joan & Shields, Michael D., 2003. "Mapping management accounting: graphics and guidelines for theory-consistent empirical research," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 28(2-3), pages 169-249.
- Primrose, Peter L., 1992. "Evaluating the introduction of JIT," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 9-22, April.
- Parker, Abdul Rauf, 2000. "Impact on the Organizational Performance of the Strategy-Technology Policy Interaction," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 55-64, January.
- Hartmann, Frank G. H. & Moers, Frank, 1999. "Testing contingency hypotheses in budgetary research: an evaluation of the use of moderated regression analysis," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 291-315, May.
- Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, John, 1995. "Complementarities and fit strategy, structure, and organizational change in manufacturing," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 179-208, April.
- Olhager, Jan, 1993. "Manufacturing flexibility and profitability," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 67-78, July.
- Kimberly A. Bates & Susan D. Amundson & Roger G. Schroeder & William T. Morris, 1995. "The Crucial Interrelationship Between Manufacturing Strategy and Organizational Culture," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(10), pages 1565-1580, October.
- Simons, Robert, 1987. "Accounting control systems and business strategy: An empirical analysis," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 357-374, June.
- Leong, G. K. & Snyder, D. L. & Ward, P. T., 1990. "Research in the process and content of manufacturing strategy," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 109-122.
- Sadao Sakakibara & Barbara B. Flynn & Roger G. Schroeder & William T. Morris, 1997. "The Impact of Just-in-Time Manufacturing and Its Infrastructure on Manufacturing Performance," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(9), pages 1246-1257, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:133:y:2011:i:2:p:508-517. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.