Empirical analysis of manufacturing strategy implementation
The purpose of the paper is to close the gap between theoretical approaches concerning manufacturing strategy and empirical analysis. This is accomplished by using data from the "High-Performance Manufacturing" project. In order to distinguish plants with a high implementation of a manufacturing strategy from the rest of the sample, the plants are grouped by a cluster analysis. Furthermore, two different views of manufacturing strategy, i.e. a market-based view and a resource-based view, are identified within the sample. The analyses show that the general implementation of a manufacturing strategy leads to better performance and fosters the implementation of special manufacturing strategies, i.e. a resource-based, a market-based, or an integrated manufacturing strategy. These special manufacturing strategies result in superior performance. Finally, the results reveal that the intensity of competitiveness has an impact on the choice of manufacturing strategy and that the ignorance of a special manufacturing strategy has more severe consequences in a highly competitive environment.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anonymous, 2006. "Editorial Information," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 37(01), March.
- Sadao Sakakibara & Barbara B. Flynn & Roger G. Schroeder & William T. Morris, 1997. "The Impact of Just-in-Time Manufacturing and Its Infrastructure on Manufacturing Performance," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(9), pages 1246-1257, September.
- Kimberly A. Bates & Susan D. Amundson & Roger G. Schroeder & William T. Morris, 1995. "The Crucial Interrelationship Between Manufacturing Strategy and Organizational Culture," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(10), pages 1565-1580, October.
- Lee Cronbach, 1951. "Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 297-334, September.
- Anonymous, 2006. "Editorial Board," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 35(1), April.
- Anonymous, 2006. "Editorial Board," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 35(2), October.
- Hallgren, Mattias & Olhager, Jan, 2006. "Quantification in manufacturing strategy: A methodology and illustration," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 104(1), pages 113-124, November.
- Dangayach, G. S. & Deshmukh, S. G., 2003. "Evidence of manufacturing strategies in Indian industry: a survey," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 279-298, March.
- Demeter, Krisztina, 2003. "Manufacturing strategy and competitiveness," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 2015-213, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:113:y:2008:i:1:p:370-382. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.